vacuum question

-
Ok.
-You have mentioned that your timing is fine, and that its adjusted for the 1/4 mile. Now you tell us that you have adjusted it for no ping and that the idle speed is 900.What you havent said is; the numbers.
-Several times I have alluded to the idea that your idle timing or idle speed,may be insufficient. Now with the revelation of a 900 rpm idle, you have ruled the one, out.
-Since I/we cant seem to bring the point across about idle timing, I wonder if you understand the concept.You obviously understand the importance of power timing, because you set it to prevent detonation in the 1/4mile.You also understand about preventing ping through timing, in day to day driving.
-But I have to wonder if you understand about increasing idle timing to increase idle efficiency and vacuum. When you give the engine the idle timing that she so desperately wants, the vacuum will go up,the off-idle response will improve, the low speed torque will improve,the engine will run cooler and quieter and smoother,cold start running will improve,and, the fuel useage will decrease. Of course, when you change the idle timing you will have to re-visit the power timing and again limit it. And likely have to re-tune the rate of advance.All these parameters can be changed inside the dizzy.Another thing that happens along the way of giving the engine the correct idle timing, is with the smoother running, the idle speed can often be reduced. With the correct idle timing your idle speed may be able to be reduced to 750ish and still make enough vacuum to power up your booster.And lastly, with the vacuum advance hooked up to the sparkport, and fine-tuned, you will be amazed at how nicely the engine responds under part throttle conditions, and at cold-start, on the choke.
-So, if you have already gone through this process to optomize your idle timining, I apologize for wasting your time. But if this is new to you, get your timing lite out, and go give that dizzy a twist.

And, to Krazy;
Yeah, Ill admit, sometimes I miss the point.Sometimes Im just stubborn. And my wife says sometimes Im just an ahole.And sometimes I just dont get it. But this one thing I know; My name will not be blotted out of the book of life, by my doing.
I tell you what though, I spent the lifter money on the GearVendor, not so much for the O/D capabilities, but for the gear splitting. With the gear ratio splits now being 78%, It keeps my little engine on the pipe all the way down the track. My powerband only needs to be 1500 or so. So while street engines with bigger cams are struggling to get the Rs out of the basement, my little guy is on the pipe and g-o-n-e. At 93 in the 1/8, I think its proved itself admirably.
So there!...lol

-
Back