Valiant rear end help

-

god.favored

Reaction score
Hey guys I'm looking at putting a different gear ratio (rear end) in my 64 valiant (273 v8 2bbl 3speed pushbutton auto) I found the specs and it said the 3standard ones were 2.76, 3.23, and3.55 can any one tell me what I could expect from each of these?

Here ya go..
2.76 great highway gears
3.23 still a good highway gear and alittle better for street
3.55 better for street and will rev higher on the highway
3.91 and 4.10,s are good stricktly for street use,much high revs on the highway.Hope this helps

Here ya go..
2.76 great highway gears
3.23 still a good highway gear and alittle better for street
3.55 better for street and will rev higher on the highway
3.91 and 4.10,s are good stricktly for street use,much high revs on the highway.Hope this helps

hey thanks a lot i know that the gears are i have are definitely not highway i cant go much past 60 with them what would you suggest for something that would have a good top speed but still some good acceleration to it?

hey thanks a lot i know that the gears are i have are definitely not highway i cant go much past 60 with them what would you suggest for something that would have a good top speed but still some good acceleration to it?

3.23:1

What is the tach reading? Can't get past 60 sounds like engine problem.

no tach, and it can go past 60 but i dont like to push it that far, well for that long, i got it going about 95 but it just runs too high (rpm) to wanna go past 60 for very long

My '66 Valiant has 3.55s in it now. They are liveable with an OD 4 speed. When I get the automatic in it, I will be going to 3.23s.

hey sorry 1 more question, you think id be better off if i were to put 2.76 in and put a 4bbl manifold and carb in it? or would a 3.23 still be better ? ( sorry still pretty new to all this) just wondering because i dont have an od and im going to have to be taking this on the highway pretty often

2.76 will be a bit doggy on the line. 3.23 is a real good all around gear. Randy's Ring and Pinion is a good place to start, also Motive Gear has plenty to choose from too. I would go new but you could also get a used set for a lot less but why risk it. What are your plans with this car? A 4bbl carb is always nice for performance but for a daily driver, maybe stick with the 2bbl carb.

http://www.motivegear.com/

http://www.ringpinion.com/

2.76 will be a bit doggy on the line. 3.23 is a real good all around gear. Randy's Ring and Pinion is a good place to start, also Motive Gear has plenty to choose from too. I would go new but you could also get a used set for a lot less but why risk it. What are your plans with this car? A 4bbl carb is always nice for performance but for a daily driver, maybe stick with the 2bbl carb.

http://www.motivegear.com/

http://www.ringpinion.com/

Hey thanks you guys are always awesome and help a lot... What could I expect for speed on 3.23 ? And that's what I was worried about with the 2.76 but i want to be able to cruise at a pretty high speed, probably about 85-95 which I may just be crazy to want that and need to put an overdrive transmission in. What do you think?

Hey thanks you guys are always awesome and help a lot... What could I expect for speed on 3.23 ? And that's what I was worried about with the 2.76 but i want to be able to cruise at a pretty high speed, probably about 85-95 which I may just be crazy to want that and need to put an overdrive transmission in. What do you think?

3.23s will do that, no problem, and still have some dig off the line.

before you spend any $$--
what size tires are you running?
what is the current ratio?

you can do some changes with different tire sizes--- you might already have 3.23-- an rpm reading at 60 mph --would also help---

make a plan for your ride & then you can build it to run like you expect. if you just throw $$ at it you might be disappointed.
there are many helpful/experienced members here.
outline your plan-- someone has real world help--
Good luck & enjoy, Lawrence

before you spend any $$--
what size tires are you running?
what is the current ratio?

you can do some changes with different tire sizes--- you might already have 3.23-- an rpm reading at 60 mph --would also help---

make a plan for your ride & then you can build it to run like you expect. if you just throw $$ at it you might be disappointed.
there are many helpful/experienced members here.
outline your plan-- someone has real world help--
Good luck & enjoy, Lawrence

ya im just trying to get an idea of what im doing still i wont be buying anything for at least another month so ill have time to figure it out. i have the stock R13's on there, but plan on changing them out when i finally do the front disk brake conversion. what do you think would be a good size for my 64 valiant convertible? also sorry i dont have a tach so i have no idea what its running at, i just know its pretty high up there, well higher than id like it to be. (plus i dont think the spedo is very accurate)

-
Back