Valiant V200 wagon - tailgate window weatherstripping

-

shortmort37

Reaction score
I know - unobtanium. I know that Joe Suchy has been looking for NOS or a piece in decent shape, from which he can reproduce; but no such luck. (I did buy the B Body lower weatherstripping from Joe, I adapt as others here have done.)

What have folks done to replace? Is there anything that comes close and can be adapted, from Quirey, Steele, etc.?

Dan

I got the glass and belt weatherstripping from Joe Suchy. Fit perfectly for my 65 tailgate

I got the glass and belt weatherstripping from Joe Suchy. Fit perfectly for my 65 tailgate.

It's not the belt weatherstripping I need - I was able to find that. It's the channel weatherstripping for the glass around the upper perimeter. I know that Joe was hoping to find a piece in decent shape to reproduce, and I asked him recently if he had any luck. Here's his response:

Sent: Monday, January 29, 2024 6:20 PM
To: 'Dan Morton'
Subject: RE: Upper tailgate weatherstripping

Dan,

Never have found a sample.

Joe

Oh OK. I wonder if the same stuff that’s used on the 2 lower channels would work. I will check

Oh OK. I wonder if the same stuff that’s used on the 2 lower channels would work. I will check
Ah! I hadn't thought about that... I haven't had my tailgate apart yet. Of course, there must be material in those channels. Did you get those from Joe as well? I got my outer belt weatherstripping from Laysons (LAYSON'S RESTORATIONS - DODGE, CHRYSLER, PLYMOUTH RESTORATION PARTS).

The first P/N column in the attached is for Dart/Valiant. I take it 2242 846 is the weatherstripping folks have adapted from Suchy's B Body kit for the lower opening; the "outer" tailgate glass weatherstripping (2423 533) is also available from Suchy, as from Laysons, and again must be trimmed since it's for a B Body. the "inner" tailgate glass weatherstripping (2242 837) is, I think, what I'm looking for - it seals the glass on the top and two sides when rolled up.

Whatever material lines the channels in the lower tailgate itself isn't weatherstripping, per se; I haven't yet found it in the parts book.

IMG_9287.JPG

The "inner" tailgate glass weatherstripping (2242 837) is, I think, what I'm looking for - it seals the glass on the top and two sides when rolled up.

Nope - I've got that wrong. I found the tailgate exploded diagram:

IMG_9288.JPG

The "run" (weatherstripping") for the upper and lower are here:

IMG_9291.JPG

I got my tailgate lower window channel from Restoration Specialties which happens to be the same window channel as used in 63-66 2/4 door sedans and possibly in the channel closest to the door handle area in a 63-66 2 door hardtop

Do you have a P/N from their catalog, Don? I'd like to order for the lower, but also investigate as a substitute for the upper. The upper, of course, has a molded extrusion at the inside lower ends on each side; mine are intact, perhaps I could cut and glue them.

I loaned the catalog to me son; i’ll tell him to bring it by tomorrow

-
Back