Valid VIN Question?

-
Reaction score
I'm fairly new to VIN numbers of these classics, I'm trying to find any information on the vin 00000000055188647, its for a 65 cuda. I tried looking on the VIN decoder and it said the VIN was too short?

Thanks guys!
val

It's the number that's listed under the vin on the website...I'd post the link but I don't think I can since I'm not established on the forum yet. It's being sold by shannon auto in bremerton...they have a site that can be googled...I think it's on the second page of their inventory.

That car is here. 1981-up vehicles all have 17-digit VINs. The VIN decoder works with '66 to '74 VINs (13 digits). A 1965 Barracuda VIN would not start with 551, it would be 18A... for a 6-cylinder or V8A... for an 8-cylinder.

I see a lot that's questionable and non-original on this car, and the paint job looks like a quickie; proceed carefully!

Looks like a classic case of good from far, but far from good. Love to see what's under those fuzzy front seat covers! Still worth having a look. Good luck with it.

The guy is either trying to hide something about the serial number, 55188647 is the correct amount of numbers for the sequential portion of the serial, or it is a state issued serial number for a reconstruction title.

I checked out the Beetle he has also. The VIN listed for it is not correct either. Allegedly it has 11000 miles but not only are the pedal pads repops and almost worn out, but they are upside down. I would treat this particular seller as fishy (no pun intended) and consider anything on the lot as a project and adjust the price accordingly.

I saw the car this summer at the Graham, WA Mopar show. It needs alot of work. Not worth the $$$ on the west coast. Much better cars here for lower $$$. They keep flooding Craigslist with ads for the car.

You have to take into consideration the location of the car. I was raised in that area (Port Orchard/Bremerton) and usually when a classic ends up on a lot in that area it is due to a Navy guy shipping out and not being able to sell it right away on Craigslist/little nickel (local want ads).
I'm not saying that all navy guys do a half *** job on cars but it is a navy town that has a certain kind of reputation (There is a local slogan for Kitsap county..."Kidnap county, come on vacation and leave on probation" ). Keep an eye open for over use of blue silicone sealer around the valve covers, intake, water pump. Bring a magnet with you (one of the business card types) and look for bondo in all the usual place. Most of the dealers in that area are P.O.S. scumbags. Take it for a good long test drive down 303, into Silverdale and back up Hwy 3, open her up real good on Hwy 3 and make sure there are no weird vibrations/sounds (just don't get nailed by the staters).
I agree with Slantsixdan, the resale red paint job kinda scares me.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the replies! I'm going to hold off on rushing to buy this one. I'd rather find one that I'd absolutely love and know the true history behind it. I plan on keeping it for a while so I think being very selective about it is the key!
Oh I also noticed the quickie paint job on it. Under the hood on the hinge, some of the paint had already peeled up and there was some rust so I know they didn't prep it the way they should have and by the orange peel it looks like a Maaco job.

Those numbers look correct if you erase all the 0's and add a 18 or V8 in front of the numbers. The 18/V8 should be stamped into the tag from the outside and the last 8 numbers should be stamped into the tag from the back side. So the VIN should read: 1855188647 if it's a 6cyl. car and V855188647 if it's a 273 model. The breakdown is this:
1=Valiant 6cyl.
V=Valiant V8
8=Barracuda
5=year
5=plant
188647=serial number
Thanks, Mark

-
Back