Valley pan?

-

danmc77

Reaction score
I've got a 440 and am using a valley plate from hughes engines - thing is that I can't keep the thing sealed along the length of the heads, and it keeps spraying oil all over - not to mention the vacuum leak it causes. Thinking about going back to a valley pan.

Question - any issues using the stock replacement metal valley pan on alluminum heads and intake? I guess I need to seal it up with silicone too?

One more thing - I bought these heads used, and they were machined to 75cc chambers (Eddy heads) - will this affect fitment of a stock valley pan?

i had a simular problem and made one out of .060" aluminum sheet. take a stock one and cut out the valley part. it will then lay flat to trace onto the aluminum sheet. a cheap sheet metal brake from harbor freight to bend the sides up and you have one that will never leak. the parts and the brake don't cost but about half what the cast one or heavy sheet ones are.

I need to take mine off and seal it again, i have oil collecting on top of it from somewhere.

I need to take mine off and seal it again, i have oil collecting on top of it from somewhere.
I run a Fel Pro Performance Z1215...It is the one recommended for the Eddy's along with their Performer intake...four composite gaskets and aluminum valley pan..if they milled the heads to reduce the cc's in the combustion chamber it will drop the bolt holes in the heads for the intake manifold...this may cause you alignment issues...if they milled the deck of the motor same effect...

That is the one I used, although it does not always look the same for some reason.
I recall other posts where people said to not use the 4 gaskets, and that the pan would be sufficient- it sounds like I should be glad I didn't take that advice.

That is the one I used, although it does not always look the same for some reason.
I recall other posts where people said to not use the 4 gaskets, and that the pan would be sufficient- it sounds like I should be glad I didn't take that advice.
If you use the pan only you are to squirt rtv along the bottom of the heads...around the intake ports and along the front and back valley pan hold downs...I used the four gaskets..

i never use the 4 gaskets not even one, just the valey pan as a gasket with the blue liquid gasket and a litlle rtv to seal the front and back thats it and never had a problem with it, and thats was with iron heads only never try it with aluminum heads, now i will try to use the gaskets with the aluminum heads, to see what happen

i never use the 4 gaskets not even one, just the valey pan as a gasket with the blue liquid gasket and a litlle rtv to seal the front and back thats it and never had a problem with it, and thats was with iron heads only never try it with aluminum heads, now i will try to use the gaskets with the aluminum heads, to see what happen
Use Permatex Ultra Black for oil and gasoline resistance....I use the blue for water resisitance....

Yup, no paper for me. Ultra grey around the ports (very thin skim coat) and a little on the ends and corners. Regardless of head material if the intake fits properly (and yes, milling will change that) that will seal permanently.

thanks guys - I'm going to make one more attempt to seal this valley plate, and if it doesn't work, it's coming off and I'll put a valley tray on the thing.

I just removed and replaced the intake this wekend, and layed a nice thick bead of RTV along the lenght of the head where the plate and heads meet - it's my fault, because i didn't let it dry before I took it out for a spin - the RTV blew right out. I'll try it again and give it time to cure this time.

You MUST be sure there is no oil, even from your fingers, where you apply the silicone. Otherwise it wont bond with the metal and as soon as the parts change temps and oil gets on it, it will leak and blow out.

You MUST be sure there is no oil, even from your fingers, where you apply the silicone. Otherwise it wont bond with the metal and as soon as the parts change temps and oil gets on it, it will leak and blow out.

Thanks - I'll wipe it down real good with a degreaser prior to re-sealing it.

Here's a valley pan that we made with a cheap brake.
IMGP1923.jpg

On the car.
IMGP1102.jpg

This set up we just silicone under the lip and have not had any problems to date.

I'm using the valley tray from Hughes for dual plane intakes - it has a recessed area in the middle for clearance. I think I just need to seal it and let it cure properly and I should be good - we'll see.

We tried the valley pan from 440 source. We had to go back to stock pan to get the leaks to stop. We are running eddy heads and a vacuum pump too! No problems now. We run only pan..... no gaskets.

We tried the valley pan from 440 source. We had to go back to stock pan to get the leaks to stop. We are running eddy heads and a vacuum pump too! No problems now. We run only pan..... no gaskets.

Has anyone else had trouble with 440 Source pans? i know they make one that has the heat riser blocked off but dont want to use it if folks have had issues with them.
I know Felpro has intake gaskets that have the riser blocked off, but i have heard that after time they break down from the heat.

-
Back