Value of: '65 273 w/4-speed, complete package

-

440-VS

Reaction score
I've found a guy who has a 273 2-bbl, 4-sp trans, and all the components (including the steering column) out of a '65 Dart for sale.

I'd like to buy the package for a future project, but not real sure what it's worth. I haven't looked at it yet, so I don't have any pictures.

I have tried to pull up old posts for a benckmark, but didn't find anything close.

I assume it will have to be gone thru. What's the going rate on a rebuild kit from Summit or Jegs?

Thanks Y'all!

Many places don't stock the 273 rebuild parts because they are not too popular for building. Everyone favors 318, 340, 360...

You usually have to special order the parts. Like pistons, rings etc...

A 273 4bbl commando motor goes for about $650. But this is a 2bbl, so it is not worth as much. I'm not sure what the 4speeds go for as most of my stuff happens to be auto.

So let's say $300 to $400 for the engine tops plus what a 4 speed goes for.

If it really has everything to change from slant six auto to a V8 4sp including steering link, mounts, starter, pedals, alternator and radiator I think $800 to $900 assuming that it is already out of car and you cant drive it or hear it run. Of course condition and missing items could change that.

Egge Machine has everything you need for that 273. On the shelf.

The '65 four speed uses a different transmission yoke than the later darts, so I've seen they're not worth as much. I'd LOVE to have that four speed setup for my '65 dart gt though, if you get it and decide to sell it

I've been looking for a setup - the expensive parts are not what you have there unless you have the pedals, Zbar, linkages, and floor. As a driveline it's cool - but I don;t think if it was for sale it would fetch much beyond $6-800. As mentioned - it's 64-65 only with the smaller clutch (9.5" IIRC), and iron bellhousing, and the ball and trunion rear yoke on the trans.

If you buy this and want to get away from the 65 and older ball and trunnion and move to U joint, here's an article on how to do a conversion: http://earlycuda.org/tech/ujoint.htm

I haven't done it, but am thinking about it when I get to that car...

You guys rock!
Thanks for all the great information! I am going to go look at what he's got in the next few days. I am not sure if I can / will use the setup. If I can buy it right and decide to not use it, I will post it here for you guys.
What do I need to look for? I will make notes from the above posts, but is there any casting numbers (etc) that will be important to know before I buy?

If you can help me with any "purchase pointers" that would be great. I'm alot better on body and interior than I am on pre-68 drivelines.

Here in California you can't hardly give away a 273 motor. I would value the motor anywhere from nothing to $100 dollars max.

Scrap should be worth more than that. The bell and trans are all iron too...

-
Back