value of a 73 340 siezed up?

-

jcruise

Reaction score
Thinking about parting out a 73 Dart Sport,the motor got wet and mouse infested,and its siezed up,J-heads,cast iron inake,thermo-quad,believe its stock,May 72 cast date,the area for the vin is blank,whats it worth?

what have you tried to break it loose? Taken the plugs out and poured some kind of oil in the cylinders? Used a 1/2 in breaker bar with the right socket on the crank? In other words, how serious is it locked up.

Hmm..Its a factory replacement block....Depends on if you can get it apart.

My 340 had 2 stuck pistons

Once I was ready to disassemble started spraying cylinders with PB Blaster, every chance I got for a few weeks

The 6 that were free no problem, unbolted the 2 stuck so I could move the crank some, my dad did the rest while I was working on something else one day. He took a 2x4 and thru the bottom beat on them till they came out. Had to bore the block .040 to clean it up

Mine had 80,000 miles and still had the factory main & rob bearings in it (date coded)

Value, had to say, if it would need more that the .040 like mine might need sleeved. The later blocks didn't have as thick cylinder walls and would need sonic tested if walls were scared/rusted bad

Personally I would not give much for it, some one wanting/needing a date code correct 340 for restoration might think different.

Think I would try and disassemble if wanting the most $ for it. Then if it doesn't look like block is good sell off the parts that are good.

Good luck

I have removed the heads and soaked the bores with trans fluid and diesel fuel 50/50,the lifters are siezed in there bores also,I believe the motor could be disassembled,just trying to figure out to sell as is or tear it down,or sit on the car untill I have the cash to restore it,Thanks for your responses.

-
Back