Value of the car

-

74PlymouthDuster

Reaction score
The Duster I own is all original. Original motor, wheels, paint, car jack even.

I just got it and i love the idea of the "classic" muscle car look like the little wings they had em on cant remember the wings name, and the hood sccops, hood pins with the matte black accents. The problem is I like the idea that it's all original and I'm able to say that.

If I added a hood scoop, wing, hood pins, and the matte black typical paint scheme how bad would it hurt the value of the car or my ability to say it's all original and it been seen as so.

Sorry if this doesn't make sense or if it's a dumb question, i appreciate any and all feedback guys, thanks!

All depends..is it a 1 of 1 duster or is it your run of the mill low option duster. IMO the more options the more its worth. A 6 cylinder bench seat duster wont be worth as much as a 340 bucket seat car...post some pics and tell us more about the car

A car is only original once.

If you decide to "customize" the car to your own tastes, it is no longer as it was, when it was built at the factory, and the vehicle's broadcast sheet and/or fender tag fully document how the car was produced at the factory.

Is this a factory 340/360 car?

If not, unless this is a very rare car, enjoy the car anyway you want.

Making a plain Mopar into a Boy Racer, all form and no substance - Hey Look at Me - Appearance is worse than the ricer burners with the fart pipes!

It's not about who has a bigger wing, or hood pins or some other tacked-on appearance item...it is about who performs better, like getting to the finish line first. Always has been, always will be...

One of the best characteristics of original Mopars was the fact that many were produced with high performance drivetrains, but with very plain bodies (see the original 1968 Road Runner and the original 1970 Duster 340 as just a couple of many Mopar muscle car examples). This plain appearance belies what lies beneath the surface: A rugged, purposeful, high performance drivetrain that can shred the competition.

It's better to be a wolf in sheep's clothing, rather than a fake, sheep in wolve's clothing.

As Teddy Roosevelt said: Speak softly...but carry a big stick (MOPAR)!

Sorry don't have epics yet it has to get towed here in the next few days i just bought it, and i need a camera :/

It's base line low end. No power steering, no A/C, Bench seats, basic slant 6, automatic. It's pretty much the lowest end. So I could see it already not being worth a lot, but the idea of it being all original to me is awesome (I'm sure you older guys or guys who have been in the restoration business awhile see a fair share of all original) I'm very new to this restoring process.

I don't plan to restore the car to sell, but I want it to be the most valuable it can be and maybe even get a few "Wow that's cool!"... So I don't wanna know if the value were to drop because i wanna sell it, more I am wondering if modding it with a hood scoop, wing, maybe a flashy paint job will take away from the ability of me being able to say it's all original, even tho it's a base line ll original. Make sense?

Thanks :) I'll get pics ASAP... I have pics of it how it sits now I think if i can get em uploaded.

You're 100% right Vs, I can't lose sight of the big picture of what attracted me to American Muscle in the first place, the performance... and I should just enjoy it! I don't wanna ever sell it (I say that now)

Guess as long as I love it, is all that matters since I have to drive it lol

Thanks fellas, and I'd love to hear more input from people too! :)

It depends on what you customize. If someone doesn't like the hood scoop, pins and rear wing, they can swap the hood and trunk for relatively cheap.

If you put in new car buckets, cut the dash, tub the rear, floor B&M shifter, custom door panels and all that, then it hurts the price and potential market for buyers because now people have to spend a lot of time and money to get things back closer to stock.

A lot of guys don't like the hokey look of aftermarket parts and pieces everywhere. A lot of guys prefer it that way because it looks more "muscley" to them. To each his own but as with anything, you gotta keep in mind you probably wont keep it for your entire life so you don't want to dig yourself into too deep of a hole.

...value of this car would be based on the rot factor...if it is pristine and a numbers matching /6, it is worth good money..not great..add a few things like handling..the orginals handled like barges..worse because of the power..maybe a bigger engine and it not only is worth more, but far more smiles per mile (my opinion). For me, it is the sound..nothing sounds like a v8..

Regardless, do what you want to do with your car..not what some bystander wants...and enjoy...

Both of you have great points.

Seems to me the general conception is enjoy your car the way you want to. Which is a nice relief, being new around here and new to the scene I figured most people would wanna keep it original or gotta have this or that, from the sounds of things nothing will really effect it's value or the way it's viewed, unless it was really rare lol which this one wasn't, pretty baseline

Since the car is not a high option car, then IMO build the car the way you want it and enjoy it. If you are building it to enjoy, then selling the car is not really in the picture and the value ....then doesn't really matter. Believe me you will enjoy the car much, much more when you build it the way you want it.

congradulations on your purchace and making the decision to build it how you want to....

congradulations on your purchace and making the decision to build it how you want to....

lol, idk if that was sarcastic but it probably does sound silly that i had to make the decision to build it how i wanted to or not I'm sure :/

Thanks for all the feedback tho!

Now your talk'n make it your own the way you like it.....the wow factor will come.
By the way......welcome to the site, you find lotsa garage knowledge around here. Be sure to use it whenever you can.

-
Back