valve adjustment w/no cam specs

-

cudachaser

Reaction score
I don't know the specs of the cam in my 318 and would like to check/adjust the valves. Is there anything I can do short of pulling the cam out. Is there any symptoms of needing a valve adjustment.
I would like to order a valve adjustment wrench but don't want to pull my covers off before I'm ready to do it, is the wrench size pretty standard for a 318; if so? Thanks Peace Adrian

Your 318 (as long as it's an LA 318 and not a Poly 318 ) came with hydraulic lifters and non-adjustable rockers. Chances are it is still that way. You need to find out what you have.

The Competition Cams website has an excellent article in their tech section on checking lifter preload on SB Mopars with non-adjustable rockers. Their procedure will tell you only if the existing preload is correct and you don't need to know your cam specs.

If you look in the tech archive there is a good peice on adjusting lash. Ma Mopar tells us to adjust lash while the engine is running which is not a good time trying to keep an allen wrench and a 1\2" box wrench on the adjuster with oil gushing all over the place.

You physically can't adjust them when it's running, the adjusters are on the rockers and are moving up and down. It's not a bowtie that has the adjusters on the stud that doesn't move.

Thanks guys, I figured it out. I have adjustable rockers with hyd lifters. The Crane Cams article explains how to check/adjust for hyd lifters. Peace

-
Back