Valve and cam questions

-

Jmcginnis89

Reaction score
I am building my 74 duster 225 /6 and am putting clifford headers and clifford 4 barrel intake what and where can I get a cam and lifters and what size should I get and also I am going to mill the head what size and where can I find what I need to build the head the best I am trying to build for street/strip to get the most out of my slant I'm kinda lost never did a /6 HELP.....

what are your plans for the engine? what gas do you have available? are you willing to run super all the time? what rear gear are you going to run, converter?

what are your plans for the engine? what gas do you have available? are you willing to run super all the time? what rear gear are you going to run, converter?

I'm not sure Ed but I think he might have been asking that, kinda? :D

Maybe.

I'm not sure Ed but I think he might have been asking that, kinda? :D

Maybe.

ok let me re phrase then... what do you want the car to do? do you go to the track or just play on the street? what octane gas do you want to run?

I go to track a little but mostly street and have 110 and 115 alc and metha but would like to keep it pump premium or super

I've just never done a slant six before and am wanting it to have the most power I can get out of it on pump gas for not mabe a little 110 here and there I'm just not up to date on /6

Well, one thing here, when it comes to building the slant head, don't mill it for compression. Have block milled instead. As for valve sizes, 1.70" intake and 1.44" exhaust seems to be popular. You will be doing alot of porting to make that head flow. Let me go take a few moments to search for articles I need to point you in the right direction.

This article will point you in a general direction for bottom end construction and as to why, using 198 rods in you (i'm assuming) 225 is a great idea. Here is an excerpt from the linked article.

http://slantsix.org./articles/stroking/stroking.htm

ROD RATIO

An engine's "rod ratio" is the length of the connecting rod divided by the crankshaft stroke. The higher this ratio is, the better. Higher rod ratios mean less side loading on the piston and less mechanical drag from swinging the piston and rod assembly back and forth. In addition, a higher rod ratio gives more "dwell" time at top and bottom dead center.
At top dead center, more dwell time allows the pressure in the combustion chamber to build higher, giving more power. The tradeoff is that longer rods weigh more. Also, the length of the rod is limited by the overall block height. As the connecting rod gets longer and longer, the pin bore in the piston must be higher and higher to fit the whole assembly into a given engine. When you've moved the pin bore as high as can be, making the pistons as short as possible, a longer rod will not fit. An engineering rule of thumb is to stay above a 1.5 rod ratio, because below this point piston side loading and tensile stresses from rapid directional change at TDC and BDC become excessive.
STOCK SLANT 6 ROD RATIOS

170: 1.83
198: 1.92
225: 1.62
As previously mentioned, the bore size of all three stock Slant 6 engines is the same, 3.40". The main bearing journals and rod bearing sizes are also the same on all three stock Slant 6 engine sizes. There is one major exception: the mid-1976 and later Slant 6 engines, all 225s, have cast iron crankshafts instead of the earlier engines' forged steel crank. None of the following information will apply to them. They are not as strong as the earlier engines and have different bearing sizes. These later engines should be avoided when building a special Slant 6 engine. (Note: There are now many examples of cast crank SL6 engines being used in SL6 racing & other "high output" applications, with good success. My preference is to use the forged steel crank engines when possible but note that the cast crank engine is also a very strong unit.)
As discussed previously, boring alone won't yield a big increase in displacement. But if you combine an overbore with an increased stroke, appreciable gains in engine displacement are possible. I will present a few stroking options, all of which I have built and successfully run.

Here is a wonderful article/thread about one of the best upgrades (bang for buck wise) to do to you slant. Distributor recurve.

http://www.slantsix.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=46266

Here are two threads on our heads and just what they look like bandsawed.

http://www.slantsix.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=38622
http://www.slantsix.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=38066

Actually, you know what, I could spend all day showing you these links, here is where I'm pulling them from.

http://slantsix.org./forum/viewtopic.php?t=38446&sid=a2e28456293a0e3309bf3d53aa796e54

The first article about the rods, just visit www.slantsix.org and hit the articles button and you'll see where I pulled that one from.

ok so you want a nice reving torque monster...

what is you super? 91?

i would be looking at a cam in the 225-235* at .050 duration cam. depending on the cam you'll keep your compression down a little depending on how you Static and dymanic compression numbers come out.

as matt said and as i learned take it all off the block, this will bring the piston up and leave the valves away from the pistons, i can tell you that you'll be somewhere around .100 off the block and maybe .015 off the head.

for your build i would start like this.

.060 over bore with total seal rings (summit has pistons)

have the block cleaned up short block mocked up so you can figure your piston to deck height's.

with this and a cam you can figure out how much milling to correct compression (both static and dynamic!)

after that lots of head work! 1.7/1.44 is a good set to use, engine builder on ebay has the best bang for the buck valves.

ok so you want a nice reving torque monster...

what is you super? 91?

i would be looking at a cam in the 225-235* at .050 duration cam. depending on the cam you'll keep your compression down a little depending on how you Static and dymanic compression numbers come out.

as matt said and as i learned take it all off the block, this will bring the piston up and leave the valves away from the pistons, i can tell you that you'll be somewhere around .100 off the block and maybe .015 off the head.

for your build i would start like this.

.060 over bore with total seal rings (summit has pistons)

have the block cleaned up short block mocked up so you can figure your piston to deck height's.

with this and a cam you can figure out how much milling to correct compression (both static and dynamic!)

after that lots of head work! 1.7/1.44 is a good set to use, engine builder on ebay has the best bang for the buck valves.
I agree with what mopar kid has laid out with the exception of the cam, I can't even begin to recomend cams cause there specs confuse me.

Everything else he has laid out is excellent information.

Remember to reference the bandsawed head pictures frequently because the name of the game here is headwork, headwork, headwork and if you have never done it before, don't be surprised if you find a water jacket. I did. Twice!!!:banghead:

Thank u I just need to learn more about the slant and its people like u /6 Matt that help thank you

In my SB, I used Rhoads leak-down lifters, which are supposed to give smooth idle and good mileage, but still fully use the lift of the cam at high rpm. I have wondered if the same is possible in a slant. One would need a hydraulic cam (~80+ engines?) and I think most of those are too mild. I have an extra set of SB lifters, but wonder if they fit a slant. I read that SB & BB lifters interchange. Oiling is different in slants, at least early solid-lifter blocks.

-
Back