Valve cover differences

-

Vali68

Reaction score
i have a slant 6 motor I am reworking to go into a 68 valiant. The old motor in the car has a different valve cover than the one I am building. There is only 2 holes on the new valve cover which came out of a 70 dart. The old valve cover has 3 holes in the top. If I want to use the new valve cover with the old motor's Air filter housing, do i simply plug off the hosing that used to go to the old valve cover or what do I do? I guess if I had to I can always just use the old valve cover with the newer motor.

here are pictures of the rebuilt motor and the old motor valve covers.

Attachments

• valvecover.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 215
  • oldmotorvalvecover.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 203
Well it's a 68 no smog you can use the PVC cap pulls off to fill oil will work fine. Make sure you use the PVC then cap of extra inlet.

I am confused by the top photo. Is the black cylinder part of the valve cover or just the cap off a spray can sitting over the oil fill? The bottom photo has an extra "breather cap" which draws air from the air filter. That might have been part of the "clean air package" for CA only. They later integrated the breather cap and oil fill, which is what my 69 non-CA car had.

I understand the purpose for routing it to the air filter was in case one has excessive blow-by gas overwhelming the PCV, the breather would blow instead of suck and they wanted the overflow gas to get burned in the engine. I think later cars put a removable filter inside the air cleaner. If you ever install an after-market air cleaner, they usually have an optional fitting in the base for the breather hose. Until then, you could cap the hose off or fit an aftermarket breather in that valve cover hole.

yeah. The black cap you see in the top picture is a paint cap covering the outlet for the oil cap that would have the bypass or blowback hose on it going to the air filter. I just kept the paint cap on it to eliminate anything falling inside the head assy.

-
Back