Valve Cover Gaskets for Fabbed Aluminum

-

streetdak

Reaction score
Now that I've gotten a few miles on the car, I still seem to have a valve cover leak. Thanks to the great new technology of smart phones, I confirmed it! Question is now, whats a good gasket to use on these valve covers that seal well? I going to tighten them up a bit more to see if it remedys the problem, but was wondering if anyone else on here has had luck with other gaskets?

BTW im using some fel-pro hard black rubber gaskets from a 85 dodge 318 truck if that helps. Oh and FYI, seems to be bad when 3/4-full throttle, otherwise, dosn't leak

engine1.jpg

vcleak.jpg

Oh and FYI, seems to be bad when 3/4-full throttle, otherwise, dosn't leak

This made me look for ventilation, do you have and crankcase ventilation? I don't see a PCV or a breather cap.

Just a thought.

This made me look for ventilation, do you have and crankcase ventilation? I don't see a PCV or a breather cap.

Just a thought.

Yeah, I though of that too, but that chrome circle on the pass side is a breather, so It does have one. It could be leaking at lower rpm's, its just not as noticeable, maybe a PCV is the way to go

I have the same valve covers on my racecar. I have the Fel-Pro 5/16 thick gaskets to help clear the intake runners. I used black silicone to glue them to the covers & let it set up.
They have been on the engine for three years.
I check valve clearance about three times a year.
No leaks yet, I run an open breather in both valve covers.

I've had good luck with the Fel-Pro 1609 cork/rubber gaskets. Just about any auto parts store should carry them and they have always sealed well for me.

The hard, black gaskets almost always seem to leak on me.

ive heard the moroso vc gaskets with the steel in them are a good choice also when my felpros start to leek i will change to the morosos

-
Back