valve cover gaskets....

-

cooljjay

Proud Owner Of Christy
Reaction score
I am having a problem with oil leaking, i got a oil change today and was told they think that my rear main seal is blown. The tranny is covered in oil and i am getting oil on the carb. I was wonder what may be causing this and if it is the valve cover, they are seeping. I am in search of a local mech in another poster that hopefully won't steal my rear end(yes it has been done once).

Sounds like you need to replace all the gaskets, LOL Have you check the PCV ? May as well toss a new one in it, cant hurt and they are only a few dollars.

You could been Intake, Valve covers, or a Distributor, Any of these could leak oil down the back of the motor and over the tranny. Oil pan could be loose and leaking as well as the rear seal.

i hate to say it but the engine was just overhauled probably a year ago. the pcv is new, I will through the new electronic dist on tomorrow and that should eliminate that. the strange thing is that theres no oil on the ground. my luck its the intake.

Is this a V8 or a slant 6 ? I would still toss a new pcv in it for cheap insurance. If its plugged or faulty is will make a mess.

its a v8, kind of strange how it could go out in like 4 weeks. I can pick one up for the fun of it.

Don't forget to check the PVC hose itself. They can collapse or plug up and the crankcase will pressurize itself and blow oil out the valve covers, crank seals and even out the top of the dipstick tube.
In 1977 I picked up a Dart Broumham for $500 because the owner did not want to spend the money to 'reseal the motor.
For 10 bucks I cured the leaks!!

Oil leaks are very hard to pin point.I thought my rear main seal was leaking also and I found out it was my oil pan which some how got a small pin hole in it and the oil was blowing back onto my bell housing leading me to believe that it was the rear main seal. Before spending lots of money thru the process of elimination,heres a tip that was giving to me which I did do. Clean your engine of all oil, go buy a bottle of UV engine Dye and pour this into your engine oil. Start your car up and let it run for a few minutes or if the weather is suitable drive it around the block. With a black light, I find it works best at night, shine the light on your engine and where its leaking the oil it will show up under a black light sort of a greenish color. This saved me money and time as I was about ready to tear off the oil pan... Good luck to you..

well I replaced the valve cover gaskets and it seems to be better, I took my car to redfastbacks shop in oakland and he did a fine tune of the carb and reset the timing, he told me that the valve covers get pretty banged up over time so they don't sit level so I may try to get double thick gaskets.

I will for get a new hose to the pcv, it is hard and i am sure its original, I will also grab a new oil pressure switch, seeing that it is probably original to.

-
Back