Valve lash adjustment?

-

cuda65vpt

cuda65vpt
Reaction score
This may have been discussed at length before but I couldn't find an answer. I replaced my head gaskets on the 318 in my 66 barracuda. The engine is a 1984 model. Everything is perfect now except I now have a valve tick on the drivers side. Aside from proper torque on the rocker shaft I see no adjustment. Any help or suggestions greatly appreciated.
Vern

if you removed the stock steel gasket and replaced it with a felpro or thicker gasket, that will account for the loose rockers making the ticking sound you hear.

re adjust the rockers/valve lash.

If it's a hydraulic cam with non-adjustable valvetrain, it might be an exhaust leak. Re-check your torque on your exhaust manifolds or headers to cylinder heads, you'll probably find one or two that loosened up.

I didn't see any method of valve/lash adjustment in the shop manual. It is a hydraulic lifter system. Did I miss something in the book Haynes repair manual.

if you removed the stock steel gasket and replaced it with a felpro or thicker gasket, that will account for the loose rockers making the ticking sound you hear.

re adjust the rockers/valve lash.

Exhaust leaks was the reason for the work. I had to remove the heads to plug those little smog holes.
I have pinpointed the tick to one of the number 3 valves with the red-neck stethoscope (wood stick).

If it's a hydraulic cam with non-adjustable valvetrain, it might be an exhaust leak. Re-check your torque on your exhaust manifolds or headers to cylinder heads, you'll probably find one or two that loosened up.

valvelashchart.jpg

1 = lifter not pumping up and needs replaced
2 = rocker arm ware, where the push rod hit's it
3 = slightly bent push rod.

I would think # 1 , and check to make sure the push rod is not plugged so oil will not run though it.

-
Back