Valve lifter question.

-

dartley

Reaction score
Car: 1972 Duster 340
Engine: 1992 Commando 360/300 crate
Me: Minor to moderate auto repair and maintenance; but not an engine builder.

Hi folks,

My 360 has a lifter noise. When fully warm I get a tapping from the drivers side - think one lifter is off. Once warm it does it most of the time, idle or cruise. Going from 10W40 to 10(or20)W50 Mobil-1 oil helped out a bit.

I tend to think that it was cause by a radiator that was inadequate for the first couple thousand miles that caused the condition, because the engine was running a bit too hot back then.

The engine has been making this noise most of it's life since new - also has been leaking a very small amount out of the rear main seal since new.

Pretty good engine on the whole, but since I am new to this site, I thought I post my question here in my attempt at getting thoughtful comments / advise.

Thanks in advance and best regards to all,

Have you taken the valve covers off? Does it have adjustable rockers? It could be something as simple as an adjuster needs adjusting. Other than that, not much to go on. Not enough info.

Jack

Hydrolic lifters ... should there be an adj? - as I mentioned, I am no engine builder.

Tell me what additional info you might need and I will endeaver to supply it.

Bill,

I had lifter noise once warmed and it turns out that the rockers were installed backwards...each cylinder should have a left and a right and they are slightly offset. Once it was corrected the noise went completely away.

John

Thanks for the reply. Seems rather unlikely though that this is the case on a crate motor. Regards,

Bill; where in N.Y. are you? Nevermind. I did a mapqest search. Lynbrook. If worse comes to worse, I know a excellent mech. in Huntington on MainSt. (Rt.110) near Rt. 25A

I doubt a small rad will have caused this problem. How many miles on the engine? The lifter could be getting sticky. But since new.... could be a bad lifter of a lifter bore to small/out of round.
Hydrolic lifters ... should there be an adj? - as I mentioned, I am no engine builder.
Hyd. lifters do not have any adjustment for you to do. There self adjusting. There should be a certain amount of preload or amount of depresion on the top from the pushrod. Thats it.
As you mentioned, your no engine builder. You need not be one to make some simple adjustments or changes to the engine. If your a rookie/novice to engines, we can point the way and explain, but nows the time to ethier pay the mech. to fix it or get dirty and try yourself. Remember, we were all there once.

rumblefish360,

When I asked if there was an adj I was really not asking, because I know Hyd lifters don't. But I qualified it because - since I am not an engine builder - hey ... maybe, just maybe, the guy knew something I am missing.

And when I say I'm no engine builder, that's exaclty what I mean - I have never built an engine up. I'm a tinkerer, and have no problem getting my hand dirty; I do what I can, and what I can't I try to have it done.

So ... I do need the help of more advanced builders/rodders like you, but I do know my way around a car fairly well. Consider me an intermediate if you like.

I am very interested in the mechanic in Huntington (I drive up that way fairly often - love the north shore! - eat out up there sometimes, hike Caumsett). What's the station name?

As to the problem at hand ... the engine was purchaced new from Herbie in '92. The rad was also new, same time. Ran hot and like a dope I got it ET'd in the summer. Not long after that came the valve tick. It's been running okay for year's after, but I figure maybe I should see if I can fix it. I don't drive the car often because of all the poor drivers here, so I doubt there's more than 3 or 4 thousand miles on the engine total; but I really have not logged them.

Thanks for the reply and the help, and let me know that mechs name, okay. Keep in touch; regards,

dartley;

Super Car Clinic is the name of the place. When traveling up Rt. 110 onto the merge with Main, keep going North. You have gone to far when the you see the Cemetery on the left. You know your close when the street heads down hill steep. He's before most Motorcycle shops in the area.

I'll PM you his number and such.

Sorry dartly, I should have read a little closer. I thought you might have had magnum heads which do have adjustable rockers. But that is for a hydraulic roller cam.

Jack

Dartley, I agree with Rumble that most likely this problem was not caused by a small radiator / overheat problem. You would have seen other signs and symptoms other than just one lifter "ticking" if you had run it hot enough to matter. I think probably just defective lifter from the get go. Not sure what brand lifters, but you can get bad parts under any name. Just my .02.

Hey thanks all for the help! RF ... got the msg. Sounds like a high recommendation ... not too many of those now-days it seems.

-
Back