valve seal/guide confused

-

blmopar1

Reaction score
I recently picked up a set of ported 340 heads were done by a machine shop.The heads had 2 bent valves. Apon removal of the valves I noticed there was no valve seals on any valves and the valve guides were two different kinds of material (exhaust are brass,intake was steel) at lease that's what they look like. My question is what is the reason for the different guides and shouldn't there be seals. The picture is how it looked after I removed the valve spring. thanks for any info.
thumbnail24.jpg

Yes there should be seals. The heads have been cut for double springs and positive seals. Kinda looks like different stem sizes too?

The factories didn't put seals on the exhaust for a very long time.

Having said that, yes you should have seals. The exhaust guides are bronze. The heads should go back to a competent shop this time and get checked out. What do the valves look like?

I used to think seals weren't nec on exhaust valves cuz no vacuum .
After only running intake seals on a street engine, was Interested to see ash deposits from the exhaust guide.
Venturi vacuum at the exhaust guide, who'da thunk ! !

The factories didn't put seals on the exhaust for a very long time.valves look good

Having said that, yes you should have seals. The exhaust guides are bronze. The heads should go back to a competent shop this time and get checked out. What do the valves look like?
the
The factories didn't put seals on the exhaust for a very long time.

The valves look ok

The intake guide in the pic that the OP posted appears to have a bronze liner installed.

I have done similar operations where someone had previously installed .502” iron guides in the exhaust, and nothing in the intakes.
Installing the bronze liners is less traumatic to the head, so the intakes get those ........ and the 502” iron guides get replaced with .502” bronze pieces.

C83E2406-BF5A-4428-AD5A-3BA238E8844F.png

-
Back