Valve Seat DIY Replacement

-

72DMag

Reaction score
Anyone on here doing their own valve seat replacement? If so what tools or techniques you use? Any special cutters/tools recommended to install larger seats?

Looking to install 2.02 valve seats on stock magnum heads, figured these heads would be a good set to try on since they are abundant and most have cracked valve seats anyhow.

(If a thread like this exists already my apologies, In my search I found a bunch for 3 angle valve jobs and valve grinding but nothing for at home valve seat removal and installation).

This is not typically a DIY operation except on much older engines. If you have the equipment necessary to do this operation, you wouldn't be asking us about it.
There is typically significant machining that must take place after they are replaced, and this is typically done after valve guides are replaced.

It is not the valve seats that crack on Magnum engines. It is the head casting between the seats.

I seem to remember a thread that RAMM had on one of his engines where he did this on a Mag head. Unfortunately, I don't remember which one. Maybe he can chime in @RAMM

On a stock iron magnum head, there is no seat insert to “replace”.
The valve job if just machined into the iron.
To install a larger valve, the seat area just needs to machined to accommodate the larger valve.

@PRH I just got the heads disassembled and I see what you mean. Definitely different than LA heads that I'm use to. If all I need to do now is open up the area to 89% of the 2.02 valve to make it effective could this be done via a neway cutter? Or maybe neway sells a bowl hog. I've used their cutters in the past to do a 3 angle valve job at home but not sure if they have something to open up the area this much.

@PRH I just got the heads disassembled and I see what you mean. Definitely different than LA heads that I'm use to. If all I need to do now is open up the area to 89% of the 2.02 valve to make it effective could this be done via a neway cutter? Or maybe neway sells a bowl hog. I've used their cutters in the past to do a 3 angle valve job at home but not sure if they have something to open up the area this much.

I used to have a local shop that would cut my seats for a bigger valve and do the valve job. 8-10 dollars a hole. Of course the heads were stripped and clean. Their machinist retired so I was forced to buy my own seat machine. I tried cutting them myself by hand and would never do that again. I ruined a new 75.00 three angle cutter before I had four done.

@pittsburghracer Sheehans use to be my go to place and then Hempfield passed away so that shop is closed now too. Savini's the old man passed away, as you probably know, so I haven't been there since. It sure does seem like shops are falling to the way side. Figured the more I could do at home the better but I see you and others point in that some things can't be done at home. Thanks for personal input :thumbsup:

@pittsburghracer Sheehans use to be my go to place and then Hempfield passed away so that shop is closed now too. Savini's the old man passed away, as you probably know, so I haven't been there since. It sure does seem like shops are falling to the way side. Figured the more I could do at home the better but I see you and others point in that some things can't be done at home. Thanks for personal input :thumbsup:

I think DLK where I used to go is still cutting and polishing cranks. They had a retired guy come in once or twice a week.

-
Back