Valve seat grinder

-

HankRearden

Reaction score
I'm slowly filling out my hobby shop. I weant valve grinding equipment. I picked up a black and decker valve grinding machine last summer. I'm looking for something to do seats and it seems I can buy the stones and arbor new pretty reasonably. it comes with a piece that looks like it will chuck in a drill to drive the stones.
When I learned how to do this as a teenager we had power head that was specifically built for this.

So i guess my question is can I drive these with a big drill? Or should I keep holding out for a reasonable used setup?

BLACK & DECKER VALVE SEAT GRINDER STONES & HOLDER KIT FINISHING CUT | eBay

Whatever you go with, you will want the driver to have a universal swivel on the output. Chucking directly in the drill is guaranteeing poor results. From what I've seen the old motor drives are a fancy drill body with a type of universal drive built in to output shaft.

Whatever you choose needs to be pretty high RPM so keep that in mind as well.

Don't try using anything other than a seat grinder to power the stones. High speed is the key and a common drill doesn't cut it. But you'll need pilots, a stone resurfacing tool, and multiple arbors if you are going to do something worthwhile. I have been down this road and have three arbors so you can fasten a bottom, face, and top cut stones to their own arbor, a selection of pilots, and a resurfacing tool. I think this would be a better choice for a start but that's just me.

Snap On Blue Point Valve Seat Grinder by Black & Decker | eBay

Last edited:
find out how to reface lifters with it and start a new thread! Ill be first in line. Its a lost art that could come back with material costs and supply chain issues what they are today.

find out how to reface lifters with it and start a new thread! Ill be first in line. Its a lost art that could come back with material costs and supply chain issues what they are today.
I was told it has some sort of attachment for doing rocker arms. I haven't really even looked at it yet. No sense until i can do the seats.

If you're buying used old school, this is about the only decent/complete setup.

KWIK WAY Valve Seat Grinder, Grinding Set | eBay

If new, goodsons kits are good, in the few thou range money wise when complete...or there are those India 400 dollar types that look to work decent.

I was actually just looking at one of those new sets from India that look like they are driver with an angle grinder. But I wasn't sure if they would be any good. Since this is just hobby stuff I like to keep the cost down as much as I can. I haven't used one since high school and that was decades ago so I'm pretty clueless on the quality of this new import stuff.

I was looking at this also.

VALVE SEAT GRINDER COMPLETE KIT HOLDERS,PILOTS,STONES,DRESSING STAND,HSG,DIAMOND | eBay

Have used a 1/2" air drill with a 7/16 bolt chucked up in it. Ground off and polished off the sharpness of the bolt head so it easily goes in and swivels and easily comes back out again.

Works for me.

Screenshot_20220205-195522_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
Check Craigslist.

I got the B&D valve grinder and a Sioux seat grinder with a bunch of stones. All for $200 I think it was.
The guy said I was the only one out of about 6 people that called him to show up. He had it listed on Craigslist for a couple of months. He had been using it to do Chevy stock car motors so the stones that came with it were perfect for Mopars.

Last edited:
I had a black and decker valve grinder for a while. Had 2 separate motors, the one that spun the valve was bad, needed to be rewound, was quoted over $400. The other one that spun the grinding wheels needed help too, I was looking at having $600+ into it so I said"no way" and wound up sending it for scrap. I will have one eventually. I've had a couple offered to me for free (like the B&D one was years ago before I had a garage to put one in that I had to turn down at the time.
Not something I'd use enough to put $600 into one.

-
Back