valve size for mild build

-

running

Reaction score
After a lot of thinking and the future use of my car is going to hopefully wind up daily. As I'm lookimg for a local gig driving a truck. I'm currently over the road and rarely home. So I wish to select a combination that is driver friendly.

Driver friendly with a 360 I'm thinking is about 350 or so horsepower. I have broken it down to two options. Buying a pair of eq heads from Midwest out of Vegas bare and having my local cylinder head shop out fit them. Using my intake valves from my magnum heads, new exhaust valves and etc.

The other option is to buy some completely assembled the heads with the 2.02 valves from imm engines. More money and i can afford it. But at this level I wonder if going this route will help me any. Or possibly hurt the motor down low. I'm very green about all this stuff.

As a side note if anyone wishes to comment a lunatic voodoo roller can is what I'm considering, 270/278. Smaller cam than my last muscle car but the next one bigger sounds to big. I would rather be a little under cammed than over camed.

What I'm going by is my last muscle car was an old camaro, 327 Chevy and a magnum 280 hydraulic cam. Bigger cam in every way except lift. Had plenty of bottom end torque. Drove that thing every day for almost ten years. Smaller stroke engine to than the Mopar. Highway gears with a manual trans. 2.70's or 3.00's I suppose. Whatever they were it didn't turn a lot of rpms on the freeway. But took off hard from down low. Never felt over cammed at all to me.

My Mopar weighs about the same as the old camaro. About 2800 lbs I have read. Its an old 1969 valiant. Running an auto transmission and gonna get a correct converter for my set up. Also wish to replace the rear end and when I do I'm looking at running 3.23 to 3.55. In that range.

So opinions appreciated on which heads for my set up. And about my cam choice. As you can see I'm just going by how my last car worked for me. And that's about it.

What are your intentions on cam (lift), pistons etc? No sense getting heads that exceed the engines capability.

i would can the roller idea unless you use a 90's roller motor? this is just a basic 9.5 to 1 rebuild bottom end, i would just use any 360 head with a basic VJ, and use a cam like a 262 or 268 from comp or lunati, headers, aluminum intake and 650 to 750 VS carb and that should get you 350hp.

Factory hyd roller stuff.

Run a hyd roller cam in the 224-228 range at .050 and .500-525 lift.
9-9.5 to 1
eq or IMM heads
good intake
headers
carb
well set up ignition (initial/total)

1.92 or 2.02 won't matter much. The IMM stuff is well set up and likely ready to run with a Hyd Roller, no worries about valve train interference issues.

it will make 350hp falling out of bed. Probably closer to 400hp and still have really good idle manners and drivability.

crackedback is right with what he suggested. Go to IMM and have them design the heads for what you want and spec a cam at the same time. We used ported stock Magnum heads and a smaller roller than what crackedback recommended and the 360 made 430 LB-FT and 413 HP.

There's a sticky on here on porting 318 heads that flow when done over 200 cfms with no valve job and stock 1.78-1.50 valves, good for a possible 400 hp. So 1.88 340/360 heads stock have more then enough flow for your target hp range and then some. That being said more flow in usable lift range will make more power or require less cam to achieve the power you want.

crackedback is right with what he suggested. Go to IMM and have them design the heads for what you want and spec a cam at the same time. We used ported stock Magnum heads and a smaller roller than what crackedback recommended and the 360 made 430 LB-FT and 413 HP.

Finally made a decision. Went with a bare set of eq heads. From what I have read the intake port is a bit smaller than the rhs. Plus I wanted the LA style intake.

Hopefully my sister is going to be nearby IMM engines shop. If so she is going to drop them if. If not when I get home I'm going to drop them off to him. I'm an over the road trucker so that is about a month. But I talked to IMM engines and what everyone says is completely true. I am very happy to have him finish my heads. Also buying a cam from him.

I'm in no real rush on this thing but I am very excited now. Going with all his gear on the eq's.
My valiant is gonna be sick!!!!!

-
Back