Valve Spring Compressor?

-

myasylum

Reaction score
I just went to the local Autozone and bought a Valve Spring compressor that I thought would be cool. It was $24.00. It has two handles that you squeeze together. I did get the spring off, and I had to test the Valve spring height. The problem was that I had to get the retainer off the spring. Well... That wasn't so easy! I had to pry the two handles apart to get it to release the spring. It was a *****, but I got it. BUT THEN... I had to put the old spring back on the head... Well... needless to say, that doesn't work!
The spring kept slipping off, and one time the retainer flew about 300ft in the air! I had to search for it for a half an hour. So I pretty much decided I need a different compressor, and gave up. The heads are on the the car.
Is there any compressor that you recommend? I already spent $24.00, I'm not real interested in spending a lot more. Are the compressors that you turn by hand better because you have more control of the spring?

Thanks much!
This wasn't fun at all!

Yes, the one with the two arms that you use the knobed handle to tighten/loosen the tension works well. I've had one for probably 25 years and it still works quite well.

A picture is worth a thousand words, so have a look. :)

2078.gif

"... it's all fun and games til somebody catches a valve spring in the eye ..."

Be careful with that thing! In the meantime practice up -- the Valve Spring Retainer Fling is supposed to be an Olympic event next time around.

Your right Cudachick! If that F'r would have have hit me in the eye, I'd be screwed!!

If I'm taking valve springs off with the heads on the block, I use the KD valve spring compressor that it makes for an overhead cam engine. I use an extra rocker arm shaft for the pivot point. I haven't launched a spring yet! Where's my wood to knock on....
Mark

I bought a compressor like Oldvart has in the picture from Craftsman. It was $17.00, and works great! I wonder if I can take the other one back?? Anyone know how Autozone is about taking returns?

I bought a compressor like Oldvart has in the picture from Craftsman. It was $17.00, and works great! I wonder if I can take the other one back?? Anyone know how Autozone is about taking returns?

In my experience Autozone sucks at everything.

In high school we used to scrap heads, quickest way to tear down is take one large socket that fits the retainer, hit it real good with a hammer and the keepers come out lol . . . and our teacher yelled at us

Yea, that method don't work so good with the intake off. I have towels laying in my intake and I'm still afraid I'll loose a keeper in there somehow! Then I'm REALLY F'd!
I dropped one already the way it is. I just froze solid for about 5 minutes kind of in a state of shock! I found it though :)

-
Back