valve spring compressor

-

stroker mike

Reaction score
I bought a craftsman valve spring compressor and was putting some Isky toolroom springs on my 302's, they are a single spring with a damper. They bent the valve spring compressor. Has this happened to any of you? Now the heads are on, but I want to replace the valve seals, I got some new ones and don't wanna waste two good head gaskets pulling these heads back off, but my other small screw style spring compressor has arms that are too long, I can't get it to work right. I was going to run the original seals, they were fine before, but it just bothered me. I wanna do it right.

you're one of the lucky ones.
I was hit square in the forehead with a valvespring on an all-nighter in the garage at 3 am. It hit me in the head, and bounced completely over the car to the far side of trhe garage.

To this day anytime I go into the garage my wife makes sure to remind me to watch for those flying springs.

Since then I bought a nice heavy duty compressor that doesnt bend or slip...it was for my security. ;)

I have a spring compressor that looks like a small puller. The two arms are not the same length so it is even when you grab the spring from two sides. The bridge that is attached to the screw portion stands about an 1" higher than the retainer. The only issue I have had is getting the arms attached low enough on the spring to compress it enough to get the locks out. I normally catch the long arm into the sring and then screw it down towards the bottom of the spring to ensure I have caught enough of the spring.

I have been able to remove double springs with a damper inbetween with this unit and as I recall I paid about $10 for it from one of the tool guys that show up at the local swap meets. I think the name brand was Cal Custom or Cal Hawk or something like that.

This is the one I have, not by Comp Cams though, I think Huges engines sells them, Mancini racing sure does, IIRC. It's is pricey, but it made the work very easy.

If your valve springs are hard to depress downwards, you may bolt the head to the table or a fixture and also use a cheater bar for more downward force.

IF it doesn't have or you loose the attaching hardware, use excellent bolts, grade 8 at a min.

Click here ---> http://www.compperformancegroupstor...uct_Code=POW351037&Category_Code=CylinderHead

I have the craftsman cork screw spring compressor and change 400+psi spring rate springs no problem, I use it on double springs, used it on my 340,slant,440,410 etc...

you really need to make sure the offset arms are placed under the right coils or it will '**** eye' and break the tool [has not happened to me] or luanch a spring sky high.

ALSO when removing springs, give it a light tap on the t handle to break the keepers/locks loose.

you really need to make sure the offset arms are placed under the right coils or it will '**** eye' and break the tool [has not happened to me] or luanch a spring sky high..

...or give you a raised purple ring on your head.:-D

:angry7:

Those Tool Room springs are the best money can buy.

Hughes engines sells a spring removal tool for heads that are installed.

A little dough, Better than having a spring flying off and hitting you in the grille.

well, I aint got much grill left to speak of anyway, ha! Consequences from when I lived a harder lifestyle, you know. I got the old engine out yesterday, and the new one in, and I am NEVER pulling a small block without pulling the tranny with it EVER again! It was easy to get the old one out, but WOW it was hard to get the new one in, I swapped the headers while i was at it and that alone took and hour, but getting the engine to seat correctly in the spools and line up correctly with the tranny was very hard... I had to move the jack around with the tranny on it, raise and lower it while I had the cherry picker lifting the back of the engine here and there and what I thought would be fast and easy truly kicked my butt! She in there now, though and today I'll hook up the small remainders and break it in.... Victory is mine!

-
Back