Valve spring help

-

smilnickel

Reaction score
Ok. I rebuilt a 318 with Z heads. I installed a comp cam that is 525 lift 300/260. Problem I am having is valve spring pressure. I replaced the springs with stock replacement ones from comp cams and is not working. I found out this cam calls for a 115lb spring which is a double spring which requires machine work on the heads. Question I have is if there is a single spring that doesn't require machine work with the 115lb of spring seat pressure that I need that won't coil bind at high rpms?

I'm sure there is. But the important factor to find one is the installed height you can get on your heads and if they will be safe from coil bind at max lift once installed. They also make retainers and locks that can add or subtract the spring installed height, usually about .050", to adjust the installed pressures and expand your options.

I'm sure there is. But the important factor to find one is the installed height you can get on your heads and if they will be safe from coil bind at max lift once installed. They also make retainers and locks that can add or subtract the spring installed height, usually about .050", to adjust the installed pressures and expand your options.

Yeah. I was thinking shims. I have a spring tester. I could see what a .050 shim would do to the spring pressure. But like you said, coil bind is what I am worried about

-
Back