Valve train oiling opinions

-

dusterMike

Reaction score
I have a 95 360 magnum I'm building. I tore the engine down a found it has the passages drilled for rocker shaft oiling. My question is, which oiling method is better? Push rod oiling or the oil passage in the block/head? I am using trick flow heads and Harlen sharp rocker shafts. The rockers can be ordered with either oil supply method. Any preference/ experience is appreciated. Thanks.

If studs are used you should groove the stud for rocker oiling. Studs do not have a taper for oiling like the bolts do.

DSCN0181 (2).JPG

DSCN0187 (2).JPG

I am going to be using the bolt kit recommended by trick flow. Not sure if they have the step in them or not . As of right now I'm leaning towards push rod oiling. In my mind it sounds better to have a separate oil supply for each rocker, compared to one for each rail.

I am going to be using the bolt kit recommended by trick flow. Not sure if they have the step in them or not . As of right now I'm leaning towards push rod oiling. In my mind it sounds better to have a separate oil supply for each rocker, compared to one for each rail.
I run the Trick Flow heads on an early Magnum block that has the drilling’s for rocker shaft oiling. Using the Trick Flow “bolt” kit as well. I can verify via actual inspection by pre-lubing as well as from actual running with the covers off that the oil delivery to all the rockers is plentiful.

If you do go with shaft oiling I would first verify that oil flows from those block passages, one can assume that the cam bearings were positioned correctly when installed, but I’d check to be sure

If you're using Magnum heads, how can they have have shaft oiling when there are no shafts?

I have a 95 360 magnum I'm building. I tore the engine down a found it has the passages drilled for rocker shaft oiling. My question is, which oiling method is better? Push rod oiling or the oil passage in the block/head? I am using trick flow heads and Harlen sharp rocker shafts. The rockers can be ordered with either oil supply method. Any preference/ experience is appreciated. Thanks.
I would rather have shaft oiling. But my 2000 360 magnum engine the block is not drilled. So I have to run push rod oiling with my trickflow heads. I could be wrong, but I only know of three Rocker company's that have push rod oiling capable rocker arms. That is Harland sharp with 1.6 not sure if you can get them in 1.5, PRW 1.5/1.6 and Comp cams but they only are offered in 1.5. Now the difference rocker ratio might not bother some people, But I wanted to run 1.6 so I am useing the PRW 1.6 rockers . I too am useing the ARP head bolts. This is the first time I have ever used push rod oiling with LA heads. So it's new to me but so far I haven't had any problems with the set up.

If you're using Magnum heads, how can they have have shaft oiling when there are no shafts?

The trickflow heads are LA pattern heads and have shaft rockers.

I would rather have shaft oiling. But my 2000 360 magnum engine the block is not drilled. So I have to run push rod oiling with my trickflow heads. I could be wrong, but I only know of three Rocker company's that have push rod oiling capable rocker arms. That is Harland sharp with 1.6 not sure if you can get them in 1.5, PRW 1.5/1.6 and Comp cams but they only are offered in 1.5. Now the difference rocker ratio might not bother some people, But I wanted to run 1.6 so I am useing the PRW 1.6 rockers . I too am useing the ARP head bolts. This is the first time I have ever used push rod oiling with LA heads. So it's new to me but so far I haven't had any problems with the set up.

Mancini has oil-through-pushrod shaft rockers as well. Supposedly they are made by Harland sharp.

The trickflow heads are LA pattern heads and have shaft rockers.

Mancini has oil-through-pushrod shaft rockers as well. Supposedly they are made by Harland sharp.
Ok thanks man! My half blind *** somehow missed that he was running Trick Flows. Moochas grassy ***.

I run the Trick Flow heads on an early Magnum block that has the drilling’s for rocker shaft oiling. Using the Trick Flow “bolt” kit as well. I can verify via actual inspection by pre-lubing as well as from actual running with the covers off that the oil delivery to all the rockers is plentiful.

If you do go with shaft oiling I would first verify that oil flows from those block passages, one can assume that the cam bearings were positioned correctly when installed, but I’d check to be sure
Good point on the cam bearings. Im having the block bored .030 over and the cam bearings replaced. Hopefully the bearings the machine shop installs will have the holes drilled for the oil passage. If they do, I might just go with LA style rocker shafts. They're cheaper than the harlen sharp push rod oiled rockers.

I thought I had read that the center cam bearing in a magnum block with LA heads had to have "something" done to it ?????

I thought I had read that the center cam bearing in a magnum block with LA heads had to have "something" done to it ?????
Not that I know of. Number two and number four cam bearings need to be installed with oil holes lined up correctly to the LA oil holes, then a camshaft drilled for LA oiling on the same number two and number three bearing journals needs to be used.

Not that I know of. Number two and number four cam bearings need to be installed with oil holes lined up correctly to the LA oil holes, then a camshaft drilled for LA oiling on the same number two and number three bearing journals needs to be used.
Could you elaborate on the "camshaft drilled" ?

Could you elaborate on the "camshaft drilled" ?
The passages for LA rocker oiling come from the cam journals. The bearings need to have the holes in them and must be positioned correctly to allow oil to those passages. But that oil comes through the drilled passages in the camshaft itself on journals 2 and 4. A factory Magnum camshaft and some aftermarket Magnum camshafts are not drilled, so it would block the oil to the LA passages.

-
Back