valve train set up springs vs shims ?

-

richmann80

Reaction score
just want to see what people think about this im looking in to buying new roller rockers and i see some people/companys use springs inplace of shims to set the rockers up and align them to the valves i would trust shims more then springs less likely to walk around anyone have some input havent found a post about this :sign10: <---- really ? dont get why they even have that one has it ever come up damn wish i could put a blue sperm in here some where well i did it

I always use the shims what I do is cut pvc pipe with a steel shim on each side I have done this many times with no trouble.but be sure to paint the pvc cus it will be made fun of..If someone sees it....Artie P.S I gess copper tubing would work..

Spacers and shims dont allow sideways movement. Springs do. I'd rather use spacers but I havent had a problem with either before.

just want to see what people think about this im looking in to buying new roller rockers and i see some people/companys use springs inplace of shims to set the rockers up and align them to the valves i would trust shims more then springs less likely to walk around anyone have some input havent found a post about this :sign10: <---- really ? dont get why they even have that one has it ever come up damn wish i could put a blue sperm in here some where well i did it

You are absolutely correct.

Spacers and shims dont allow sideways movement. Springs do. I'd rather use spacers but I havent had a problem with either before.

What he said , I prefer to shim it , less binding , the springs that came wit hthe original isky ductiles I have are very stiff .

Doesn't Mancini sell the shim kit?

i'm lookin at crane golds and i see i can get them in a kit with springs or shims i'm probly going with shims becouse i don't want side to side movement but even with shims there is a little wiggle room

There has to be a little clearance otherwise you may have some binding. I use .010 per pair and I havent had any issues that way. It may be difficult finding spacers and shims if the manufacturer uses springs... Not impossible, but you may need to do some customizing. Another thought... If you use good shafts and good pushrods, you wont have much if any force trying to shift them sideways.

RAS has spacers , you can get them from Hughes and then shim for clearance , or just make your own spacers and shim them for clearance .

-
Back