valves ticking i think

-
they will make some noise-- they should smooth out the idle-- I adjusted at idle -- others adjust cold-- just make sure you are on intake or exhaust when making the adjustment.

Adjusted a 225 today with the engine running...used a socket and a swiveling extension and rachet......sure sounds nice now. May not have ever been adjusted in the 60 k miles on the engine. Now to de-sludge this thing.....2nd worst sludged engine I have ever seen.

be careful on the de-sludging-- try to keep as much out of the engine as possible-- Lawrence

Yep, this is the first time I have tried any de-sludging on an engine this badly sludged while in the car; in prior cases the engine was being rebuilt. I stuffed the pushrod holes and slowly pulled all the sludge out of the head area by hand and then wiped more out with paper towels, and then with kerosene soaked rags. A few chucks went down the pushrod holes and there is a thick mass down towards the lifter galley in all the pushrod holes. So, there will be a series of small amounts of ATF and oil changes over the next coupla weeks, and maybe kerosene in the pan sitting over night followed by a drain and new oil beforre starting.

The low oil pressure light on this '62 Dart is right up in front of the driver; hard to miss.

The 3rd pix is after the hand de-sludging of the head area.

Attachments

• DSCN1081.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 88
  • DSCN1082.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 88
  • DSCN1083.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 91
looks much better--- do you have air?? that would help a lot-- it is coming along-- keep it up ,Lawrence

Air..... yes. How would you suggest it be used for this?

Got other things to tend to first....have had this for <100 miles and gas mileage is awful low. Carb was leaking some fuel externally on occasion and the plugs showed really rich. Cut the car off and heard something like water dripping rapidly....found gas dripping down the carb throat. So a carb rebuild is next on the list before any more driving....the oil in the car seemed pretty thin for straight 30W, so no doubt it is highly gas-diluted now. Very likely this carb has never been touched since new; the hardened spark plug tube gaskets showed original paint!

-
Back