valvoline max life atf

-

pjc360

Reaction score
is valvoline max life atf a good atf? and would it be a good choice to use in a freshly re-built A-518 transmission?

Yoy might ask your trans builder.Maxlift is a Dextron 3 base with friction modifiers to run in most late models.I don't see it as a problem,But some trans builders set up clutch pack clearances for differnt viscosities.Most likely,OK.If you can,ask your trans shop.

i thought we had this discussion on tranny fluid already....ATF 4...pick your brand...I use Walmart...

atf 4 was designed by chrysler for OD and lock up converters....

the guy who re-built my transmission told me not use +4 he said to use dexronIII or +3 if i can find it but i cant find any so thats why im asking bout max life....

It is called Mercon/Dextron 3,Possibly Mercon multi use.Any parts joint will have it on the shelf.

ya napa has dexron/merconIII and valvoline max life atf and valvoline dexron/mercon.
i couldnt find +3 anywhere, i guess only 1 brand still makes it and the transmission shop i go to orders it in 55 gallon drums. thats why im asking, should i run regular dexron/mercon or the max life? i have heard good things bout it from other people, just didnt know if it was ok to use in a freshly rebuilt transmission?

The +3 fluid has been replaced by the +4.

ya i am aware of that, but the +4 fluid also has quite a bit more friction modifyers in it then +3 did as i am told anyways, just because it replaced it doesnt mean its the same fluid or better for a certain application.... main reason for +4 is for the lock up converters mine is a non lock up.

If you insist on staying away from ATF+4, with its friction modifiers and shear resistance designed for Torqueflite trannies, then go with whatever your rebuilder recommends. Then ask him for a 50,000 mile, or better, warranty.

the guy who re-built my transnission gave it a 3 year warranty. and he said no to +4 not me, thats what i wanted to run and planned on running untill the re-builder advised against it???

in fact im running +4 in my transfer case right now, and +4 is what i ran in my transmission before i got it re-built and i planned on running +4 again untill the re-builder told me that he wouldnt run +4, the main reason he says no to +4 in my transmission is because he says i do not need the friction modifyers that are in +4 because i have a non lock up converter. he said dexronIII or atf+3 are the only fluids he'd run it, he said no to synthetics and no to type f, in fact he said anoyone who runs type f in a torque flight is an idiot, and i had to strongly disagree with that statement, some of the smartest mopar guys i know run type f in there toeque flights? i think type f is fine for the torque flight and the A-518 im just trying to decide between max life atf because i have heard good things about it and regular dexronIII and type f those are the 3 fluids im trying to decide on, i lean tqords type f alot because my old man swore by it in the torque flights.

....................MFG man, just use what the rebuilder has already installed, afterall he's the 1 warranting it..........kim.................

i'll just use dexronIII or max life, the re-builder said dexronIII or +3, i cant find +3 anywhere and i am not paying the transmission shop a fortune to service my transmission with +3.

Is there any reason that type f would make the A-518 perform any different then type f makes the A-727 perform? i know from expiernce that type f works well in the A-727s and the main difference between the 2 transmissions is the A-518 obviously has the overdrive unit on the back and the valvle bodys arfe set up a little different, but other then that they virtually have and use the same internal parts. With that being said i dont see why type f would make the A-518 perform any different then it makes the A-727s perform?

-
Back