VANISHING POINT (1971) Build For Speed

-

70aarcuda

Master Hoader of SBM
Legendary Member
Reaction score
Dont know if anyone seen the youtube video about the movie...but it is pretty neat about the filming of Vanishing Point.....btw their is a nude blonde on a motorcycle in this video too..

I’m too young to have caught this movie when it was making the rounds but, always hear Nick Panaritis/Youtuber mention this film. Thanks for sharing the link. This is a great summary for those of us that missed it and you weren’t kidding about the blond! Haha.

I’m surprised this is the first I’ve heard of the bombshell biker lady. Most every comment I hear refers to the awesome car.

After watching the video another Challenger video came up that I had never heard of. Not trying to derail This Thread cuz I somewhere have the tape of vanishing point if my little brother ever gave it back to me but anyway I think that this story on this black challenger is kind of important because it actually happened.
Sorry but there are no nude blondes on a motorcycle in this one.

My High school buddy (RIP) and I skipped school to go see it at Britton Plaza Theater in Tampa Fl. Back when cigarette machines in the lobby were common. I bought a pack of Salems when I got there.

i was in the army when that movie came out. i was in aberdeen proving grounds in maryland. it cost 25 cents to see a movie. we set through that movie 5 times in 1 day. it was great. i also have the original movie that has never been opened.

Great movie. In the late 70's, I had a 70 R/T, 383 4 spd, 3.91 Sure Grip. No PS, PB or nuthin! Lots of great memories, but one of the best was when 2 buddies and I were heading down I-95 in the DC area, and a guy in a Mazda RX7 pulls up, comments how the pipes were nice and gray and says there's nothng on his radar detector. I had a 2.93 in it for the trip. I dropped it into 3rd and took it to about 5500 rpms, lifted, clutched it, and looked in the mirror. Never saw him again! I still had the 3.91 speedo gear and never did the math as to our actual speed, but we were rolling pretty good!

I had a 1970 340 4 speed Duster Tor Red then with 4.30 gears, 3310 780 Holley, YL Mallory dual point, Hedman headers with dual Thrush header mufflers. I had the original 14x 5.5' Ralley wheels split and added 3" in the rear with JC Penny J-60 Scat Tracs on the rear. Yes sir I was a bad ***! Or so I thought.

Middle to late 70s this was one of our street cars. Swiss cheesed all under it, asbestos cloth for fender wells and fiberglass hood it was very light and fast. 440, 4 speed with dana was running 10.30s- 10.50s in street form. Me driving in picture.(I had hair back then)
The car is still alive and being raced over by Indiana.

190726_062529_2.jpeg

Very cool review of the movie from the folks who created it. Have owned a copy for years, right along with Hot Rod 1980.

DC09DF50-82DA-4218-9368-2953C6C613BE.jpeg

Middle to late 70s this was one of our street cars. Swiss cheesed all under it, asbestos cloth for fender wells and fiberglass hood it was very light and fast. 440, 4 speed with dana was running 10.30s- 10.50s in street form. Me driving in picture.(I had hair back then)
The car is still alive and being raced over by Indiana.

View attachment 1715656299

I was racing a hemi superstocker at the time , I loved the movie -------------
thumbnail - Copy (2).jpg

-
Back