Vapor canister filter

-

ike61

Reaction score
Howdy. Anybody know how to remove the filter from this rascal? I really dont want to just start prying on it. Thanks

3826292A-0E6F-4E30-9EFA-9798B693820F.jpeg

93BD6C6A-A16A-430A-AA3A-50EC5A47CF2A.jpeg

Gotta cut it open and then glue it back together. Search for threads about this on here which also talk about buying charcoal used in fish tanks from a pet store.

^^^ What he said. Cut it open at the seam on the bottom.

A word of caution, the charcoal is the size of coffee grounds, it'll make a big mess fast if you're not careful.

Activated charcoal is what you want. Walmart sells it where the fish supplies are.

Good luck and keep a vacuum or dust broom close by.

Some had an externa replaceable filter here
upload_2020-5-27_7-47-53.png

If the internal filters have decayed, then the cannister needsto be cut open. There should be a seam where it was glues or welded together.
Have a big coffee can or tray to catch the charcoal after you open it.

Some had an externa replaceable filter here
View attachment 1715535914

If the internal filters have decayed, then the cannister needsto be cut open. There should be a seam where it was glues or welded together.
Have a big coffee can or tray to catch the charcoal after you open it.
The internal filter is still there. Maybe i should just leave it alone

The internal filter is still there. Maybe i should just leave it alone
As long as charcoal isn't getting through, then I can't think of any reason to open it up.
If fine charcoal or larger bits can get out the top, they can migrate to the carb vent or into the gas tank. Carb vent is the worst because there's no filter to stop the stuff and once its in the bowl it will plug things up. So if you ever have carb problems and find little black bits in the bowl, that's what it is. Then open the cannister!

This is a Motorcraft 2150 carb with charcoal accumulating because the vent was open to the cannister while driving and the filters in the cannister had fallen apart.
upload_2020-5-27_22-43-33.png

Looking at the top of that Jeep's charcoal cannister with the charcoal removed.
upload_2020-5-27_22-45-33.png

Last edited:
-
Back