Vapor Lock???

-

tooslow

Reaction score
I was at the track(road race) this weekend and experienced vapor lock coming into a corner at a high rate of speed--Wasn't fun and don't want to do it again!

What brake fluids are you guy's running and are thier any tricks to avoiding Vapor Lock in the braking system?

Wilwood Disks front and back
A standard Dodge manual divided brake booster(nothing fancy)
Using Wilwood racing brake fluid wet boil is 286F

I assume you mean brake fade not vapor lock.

What Wilwood Discs are you running? The vented thick ones (top pic) or the thin non vented ones (lower pic)?

What pads?

My guess is you need a pad designed for track use.

Attachments

• 140-11023_kit-lg.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 337
  • 140-2713-B_kit-lg.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 362
thick vented rotors not the drag race set-up. My fluid boiled and the result is NO Brakes when that happens-pedal to the floor

Could you headers have overheated your brake lines or master cylinder?

good idea?? I will check

Also check your brake lines. Are they braided steel? If not the heat can soften them making a soft brake peddle.
Then check the type of wheels your running. Front wheels must be a open style. Centerlines or anything like that solid wheel stops air flow. In fact Centerline does not recommend their wheels for road racing, just drag racing.
Then check the inside of the wheel. If you see a thin line inside the wheel your seeing where your rotor is loosing metal. If all you see is a dusty coating all over the wheel all is good. If the inside of the wheel is clean you need to go to softer brake pads.
Hope this helps some.

-
Back