vapor lock???????

-

buggsvaliant

Reaction score
I have a 71 duster with 225 .After I drive an hour or so and shut it off it won't start back.At this time I can see air bubbles going back into the fuel filter (in line).The filter is back about 6 inches from the carb.Is the line or carb getting too hot?any fix ?help

Vapor lock happens on the suction side of a fuel system not the pressure side. So anything on the pressure side getting hot won't cause it. Next time it won't start check the spark just to make sure it is not an ignition problem.

Chuck

I must not be calling it the correct term but the gas is bioling in the line that I can see, what would cause this? could the carb be bad or something else. I would not think that it would have anything to do with the ingintion at all but then again I am on this site asking questions. The vehicle wll turn over but it acts like it is flooded and won't catch all the way. Thank you for any help

I have the same issue with a '71 /6 Dart I just got. I think you are describing the same thing I noticed. I've not tried to restart the car as at the moment I'm just trying to tune and do the mechanical on it before we drive it regularly, but I did notice what looked like the petrol perculating in the filter until the filter was empty.

When I noticed it was after running the car to set timing etc. and the engine is to operating temp. if I shut the car off and then come back a moment or two later I can look at the clear fuel filter and see it bubble as if the fuel is draining back somewhere or something. The bubbles are not a rolling boil like a pan of water or the like. Just sort of a bubble, a moment or two passes and then another bubble.

The fuel line comes up the front of the engine as a metal line. Just before the carb the line stops and a clear fuel filter is connected inline using rubber hose and clamps. Then the metal line continues out of the other end making a curve (have a Holley 1920? type carb) to connect up to the carb inlet.

As I said, it will keep doing this until the filter looks empty of petrol.

Sound the same as you? If so then that is two of us looking for the answer of what to do. My thoughts thus far is some sort of heat issue, fuel pump issue allowing drain back (guess I need to double check there is no petrol in the fresh oil change I did), I've semi discounted the carb as I just put a kit in it, but then who knows????

I certainly don't want to have an issue of us driving the car and then getting stranded with it not wanting to restart.

Cheers

WHEW! I just read something on this that happened to older Ply's and Dodges in the 40's. What they did to fix the problem was to install a heat sheild around the fuel pump. Also, keeping the fuel line as far away from anything period will help.
Check to see if the carb is boiling fuel. You might have to investigate how to cool the carb down some more if such is the case and why it is getting so hot.
The rest of the system (Cooling) should at least be looked at. Good coolent, good rad flow, etc......

What it sounds like is fuel perculation, it happens when the motor is off and the carb and line heat soak, it is very common on alot of cars. We just can't see it happen usually because most cars don't have clear filters. It can perculate the fuel until it is all evaporated. But if your fuel pump is in good shape it should refill the carb in sort order and restart. It may crank for a bit but it should restart within 5 to 10 seconds. If it doesn't then it would be a weak fuel pump or an ignition problem.

Chuck

Is it worth trying to wrap the fuel line with some sort of heat reflector? I read in another post someone wrapped the fuel line and found a phenolic (sp?) spacer for the carb as well. Not sure that there is such a spacer available for a 1920 Holley one barrel carb, do you know?

Thanks for the help.

Cheers

anybody have a 6 cyl power steering bracket that bolts to the block with 3 bolts for sale? help

Thanks!
You have helped solved a long time proble on my 71 Swinger!
It would require around 20 minutes to start aft it was drived for over twenty mintues
Janes

My son's got an '81 D150 /6 that's started locking up since it got real hot out. Usually "Vapor locks" when it's above 95 degrees outside. Doesn't make it more than 20 minutes of driving. I've got an electric fuel pump, but it still goes chug-chug-chug...stall. At night it runs like a champ. I just wrapped the metal fuel line in rubber hose. (Hoping for a quick fixin the 100 + weather today) But I think we're going to go the route of the new fuel line next. Has anyone used any of the fuel line coolers from summit or like companies?

Sounds like you are ready for the fuel line mod.

Here are a couple pics.

The theory is to get the fuel line away from the heat of the motor and exhaust.

The fuel filter sits behind the alternator which is cooled by its fan blades.

A spacer under the carb is mandatory for a cool carb.

Also make sure your heat riser is working properly,or a least wide open if you have a stock exh manifold.

Good luck !!!!

John

Picture 470.jpg

Picture 472.jpg

Picture 471.jpg

-
Back