Vehicle security for long road trip

-
My biggest issue with all of this stuff is that you never really know:
#1. What you're actually getting. Could be meth, could be ground-up smurfs, you never really know.
#2. How much of what you're getting. Could 1 dose per dose, could be 10, could be 1000.

Have you ever cut anything with a hacksaw in three strokes? (including soft plastic)

Have you ever cut a steering wheel?

The "club defeat" hack I saw back in the 90's used a can of freon to freeze the small diameter area of the hardened shaft, and then hit it with a hammer and it broke like glass.
With a battery powered hacksaw you could have that steering wheel cut in just about that length of time. They are the catalytic converter thief’s best friend.

Work a blade fuse in some outta the way place under the dash on your fusible link and swap a 10amp in there overnight. Dead as a doornail if it turns over and certainly pops if they jump the solenoid. Pulling the fuse works too but I like to know that someone tried.

up your comprehensive insurance and get an agreed upon value. then go and enjoy the trip of a lifetime without worry on your mind!
You have some good advice but comprehensive insurance does not cover theft.

You have some good advice but comprehensive insurance does not cover theft.
i don't know about your policy, but mine explicitly states that theft is covered in the event the vehicle is not recovered.

items in the car are not covered (say, tools, a phone or a dagger) but depending on your other insurance policies the junk in the trunk might be.

I get even more nervous when I see stuff like Hotchkiss' car, trailer and truck being stolen!!!

i still contend that whoever boosted that rig had absolutely no idea what was in the trailer. more than likely they wanted it for the truck, which could be easily stripped and sold. the trailer they could probably number swap and adios that on the cheap. they're were betting on the trailer carrying easy to move stuff like dirt bikes, motorcycles, atv's or a sand rail.

A dagger is specifically excluded?

Wonder how many got claimed before they had to add that line item.

A "powered hacksaw" is not a hack saw any more.

...and steering wheel cores are very similar to spring steel.

Geez, now I'm going to have to find an old steering wheel to cut.

With a battery powered hacksaw you could have that steering wheel cut in just about that length of time. They are the catalytic converter thief’s best friend.

Dude, proofread your posts. You're quoting me from an entirely different thread!

Dude, proofread your posts. You're quoting me from an entirely different thread!
I am? I didn’t quote anything from you, I just threw that out there because my neighbor was talking them up, and he told me I had to have one. I also saw a “let’s make him famous” meme or picture or whatever they’re called, where the dude was 1/2 under a truck in a shopping store lot, and in his hand was the Milwaukee I wan to get! Sorry if you think I’m copying you from another post, I’m simply not that smart, or tech savvy to do so!

Ok, I just looked, and didn’t realize that your quote was included in my post, which just proves that I don’t know what the heck I’m doing 1/2 the time. I’ll try to fix it.

So yea, that fixing thing ain’t gonna happen from my thumbs, sorry for the confusion, no harm intended on my end!

Last edited:
I am? I didn’t quote anything from you, I just threw that out there because my neighbor was talking them up, and he told me I had to have one. I also saw a “let’s make him famous” meme or picture or whatever they’re called, where the dude was 1/2 under a truck in a shopping store lot, and in his hand was the Milwaukee I wan to get! Sorry if you think I’m copying you from another post, I’m simply not that smart, or tech savvy to do so!

Ok, I just looked, and didn’t realize that your quote was included in my post, which just proves that I don’t know what the heck I’m doing 1/2 the time. I’ll try to fix it.

So yea, that fixing thing ain’t gonna happen from my thumbs, sorry for the confusion, no harm intended on my end!
OK No worries, I thought maybe I was having a senior moment or something!

i don't know about your policy, but mine explicitly states that theft is covered in the event the vehicle is not recovered.

items in the car are not covered (say, tools, a phone or a dagger) but depending on your other insurance policies the junk in the trunk might be.
So I googled it and you are correct but there are different levels of comprehensive so to be technically correct, the comprehensive insurance that covers theft or damage due to theft is called "fully" conprehensive insurance. Learn something new every day. Thanks for rousing my curiosity.

Life like dummy in drivers seat asleep with gun in lap

That's a good way to get your gun stolen.

What about a dash cam with an upload to the internet? I really like the ring camera idea, but got to thinking about the advent of the dash cam and it's multiple uses (like proving the guy ran into you and not the other way around, or who hit your car while you were in the store) and how if it was connected to the internet it could maybe give images of the perp(s) and make it easier to bring them to justice.

Certainly the Ring camera would do the same, just thinking the dash cam might have additional uses that the Ring camera doesn't.

Just a thought.

The dashcam doesn't activate until the vehicle is started, the ring cam is battery operated and can hook to any WIFI. A piece of stick on velcro and the ring cam can be positioned toward the driver side window. Anybody looking in or walking by will set the motion alert to your phone. Might drive ya nuts overnight if it's a high foot traffic area but better than waking up to an empty parking spot

The dashcam doesn't activate until the vehicle is started, the ring cam is battery operated and can hook to any WIFI. A piece of stick on velcro and the ring cam can be positioned toward the driver side window. Anybody looking in or walking by will set the motion alert to your phone. Might drive ya nuts overnight if it's a high foot traffic area but better than waking up to an empty parking spot

I know there are options to set the dash cam to be motion activated, or at least a shock? Seems like people have used them to grab images after a hit and run and similar situations when they were away from their car.

Not sure on that, nothing I have researched. Just thought of it.

OK, yes I'm an old Luddite. What, briefly, is a ring camera???

Wouldn't a thief quickly spot a camera mounted on the dash and just rip it out and throw it away? ...and of course when I went to look at the web site it says connection is easy by plugging it into my OBD port :lol:

You can mount the camera anywhere, dash, under dash or side of center console. It's motion activated and sends an alert to your phone. When that alert goes off you can immediately see the live video on your phone. Then it's time to take action whichever that might be

-
Back