vent warning: hot rodded regrets

-

65TerrorCuda

Reaction score
After 25 years of putting on discs, carbs, intakes, headers, wider wheels tires, nitrous, turbo, blowers on various projects...
cuda.jpg
nowadays I wish I'd left everything completely stock.
Sure it's faster, stops better, looks "cooler", but lost much of the immensely pleasant nature that it originally had.
Anyone else wish they'd saved all their stock parts? That's my biggest regret. Should've kept the 10" drums and steel 13" wheels so I could go back to grandpa status car.

I save everything, you just never know. Only downside is knowing what you have and having room to store it all

Get a parts car and start swapping it back. No problem. You have the skills. You have to remember that was also part of it. developing skilllllz. and it was fun.

I kept all the parts I took off, for reasons if I ever sold it, the new owner wanted to go back to somewhat original. Or if I found another car I could swap all the stuff in the new one and put back the old stuff and sell it off.
I will never put back the old parts under my ownership.
I would like to find a set of steel wheels and run caps again to switch it up once in awhile.
Mine, the lug holes have been destroyed from years of mechanics impact guns.

GTS is still pretty much how it left the factory, except for the sport wheel covers and steering wheel. It will be getting disc brakes (correct Kelsey-Hayes) this time around, but I'll keep the drum stuff.

Barracuda is modified, but it won't go back stock. It will kinda look stockish, however...

I've kept all the original parts from my Formula S Barracuda. 65'

I like my cars factory built, but I have to remember to drive them like an old car, not like a modern vehicle

After 25 years of putting on discs, carbs, intakes, headers, wider wheels tires, nitrous, turbo, blowers on various projects... View attachment 1715819400 nowadays I wish I'd left everything completely stock.
Sure it's faster, stops better, looks "cooler", but lost much of the immensely pleasant nature that it originally had.
Anyone else wish they'd saved all their stock parts? That's my biggest regret. Should've kept the 10" drums and steel 13" wheels so I could go back to grandpa status car.

I like the "best parts of the era" on my cars. Wish I would not have chased all the "best" parts that snowballed into too much time and money for almost no benefit. I kept the 66 Formula S almost stock with the best parts from back in the day, with a few upgrades. Still a great car, even by today's standards.

What kind of brakes did you use?

Could you use 14" steelies?

Sure do regret it all, 69 charger gave it away, 2 440 hp gave away many 69 charger parts because i was moving and had no place to store anything. Kick my self every day for that. Also sold a hemi with custom made fuel injection 15k regret it all.

Original A Body Kelsey-Hayes manual disc brakes with Hawk racing pads and original 10 x 1 3/4 rear drums. They work with 14 x 5.5 original wheels and hub caps or 14 in Rallye wheels.

After 25 years of putting on discs, carbs, intakes, headers, wider wheels tires, nitrous, turbo, blowers on various projects... View attachment 1715819400 nowadays I wish I'd left everything completely stock.

I just checked out some of your pics. You can do a motor/wheel swap and **** you are there. Keep upgraded brakes and throw some steelies on her. Yer good! Keep your hot rod stuff around though....#noregrets

EDIT: might be just a cam and intake swap to be honest. new hood maybe. thrash it. mufflers.

Always good to save the old parts, but in my case the car was a Slant six and more desirable with a 340, so all my original parts are now gone cause I’ll never switch it back.

Always good to save the old parts, but in my case the car was a Slant six and more desirable with a 340, so all my original parts are now gone cause I’ll never switch it back.

I agree, there is no reason to keep parts you know you will not use. I just wish I had kept my hot 170 slant six and the "68" 383 oil pan, air cleaner, and console in the Formula S.

I think most of us that have had our cars for any period of Time battle with this. I have tossed away original 340 manifolds original air cleanerand a lot of other desirable performance parts over the years but time keeps ticking. I leave the body and interior stock but have no regrets over upgrades that I have done a hundred horsepower over factory and moving forward.I will continue to pester modern hot rods but I keep it close enough to original that I could always take it back if I chose.

IMG_20210615_172807050.jpg

Too many mopar regrets to look back and not move forward. I’ll do all that on my death bed. (Probably take me a week to die)

I'm old and was raised by old parents that went thru the Great Depression (the real one), so I hate to throw away anything, my dad even saved old 16 d nails and straightened them! lol
I drove these cars back n the sixties so I know they are not supposed to drive just like a modern car. I love them for what they are, unless it leaves me walking!!
We live in the sticks so oem brakes work fine here.
I like fooling with carbs.
I am not a racer so I need NO nitrous.
I understand points and they always work fine for me.
I take off parts and save it all, except the 50 ton AC stuff!! I run out of room and it sits where ever!
Having a parts car is good, finding one cheap enough is hard!

I'm an anal purist. Draw your own conclusion. :lol:
Wow you went there? Lol
I'm old and was raised by old parents that went thru the Great Depression (the real one), so I hate to throw away anything, my dad even saved old 16 d nails and straightened them! lol
I drove these cars back n the sixties so I know they are not supposed to drive just like a modern car. I love them for what they are, unless it leaves me walking!!
We live in the sticks so oem brakes work fine here.
I like fooling with carbs.
I am not a racer so I need NO nitrous.
I understand points and they always work fine for me.
I take off parts and save it all, except the 50 ton AC stuff!! I run out of room and it sits where ever!
Having a parts car is good, finding one cheap enough is hard!
No one needs nitrous oxide, no one needs a super hot horny wife but man if you can get one ... I say get busy on that bit boyyy:lol:

No one needs nitrous oxide
Ummmmmm........"needs"........well I guess I will agree. Unless you are trying for 10s....

#cropduster:rolleyes:

##gashuffer:rofl:

cant wait to see the transformation! Do you have an intake/cam/mufflers/wheels? I know that isnt all you need but it would be the quick stuff that would bring it back on track....ya?

Sure do regret it all, 69 charger gave it away, 2 440 hp gave away many 69 charger parts because i was moving and had no place to store anything. Kick my self every day for that. Also sold a hemi with custom made fuel injection 15k regret it all.
Wow that is painful. Damn.

I put on the 11.75" factory discs (Mopar Action did a writeup years back) on 15x7 centerlines, I'm not sure stock 15" steel would even fit. Back brakes are original off the 7 1/4.

Ummmmmm........"needs"........well I guess I will agree. Unless you are trying for 10s....

#cropduster:rolleyes:

##gashuffer:rofl:

cant wait to see the transformation! Do you have an intake/cam/mufflers/wheels? I know that isnt all you need but it would be the quick stuff that would bring it back on track....ya?
I just gave away a weiand stealth and x-celerator. The cam is practically stock Isky E3? E4? The exhaust is fine, other than the headers which aren't a problem.
I guess I could start looking for narrower factory type 15" steelies. I do have a spare hood.
I appreciate the insight everyone

-
Back