Vent windows will not shut

-

Bigreno

Reaction score
I recently bought a 1971 Dart and it looks like someone "fixed" the vent windows. Now I need to fix the fix. Does anyone have any thoughts on what they actually did? I know I'll need to remove the glass and fix the seal. The top of the glass also hits the chrome when you try to close them.

Attachments

• 20150321_183101_resized.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 152
  • 20150321_183124_resized.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 122
is the pivot point still riveted to the frame? my guess that is is loose & that is why your hitting the chrome trim.

hopefully that is not the case-- but if it is no easy fix-- you have to remove the vent window assembly & re-rivet or get a new frame. Lawrence

We had the same problem with my son's '70 Roadrunner. There are adjustments for the wing window/front track assembly that will fix most (if not all) of the issue. After making our adjustment we also had to tweak the wing window forward by applying pressure to it. - Just be cautious not to break that upper pivot stem.

They both feel like they are mounted pretty solid. They swing open and almost closed with no wobble so I don't think there is anything broken. It almost looks like the bottom of the glass is slid slightly forward in the frame. Maybe try to loosen the pivot and try to nudge the bottom of the glass rearward slightly.

1967'cuda, where/how would I find these adjustments?

this is what you are dealing with, your might be on the right track about the bottom edge sliding in the chrome mount.
take the pivot screw out & see if the glass will come --out-- if so fix the rubber gasket 7 you'll have that thing centered in no time ,Lawrence

Attachments

• ventframe1 014 (Large).jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 114
Your glass is too far forward in the bottom "guide". I'm referring to the bottom chrome piece that the window actually touches as the guide. So slide the bottom front of the glass towards the rear of the chrome guide and it should close.

It's been awhile since I adjusted ours and I can't be certain but as I recall there was some adjustment for where the channel/frame is positioned in the door. One of the points that I seem to remember was a 1/2" nut located behind a plastic plug just in front of the interior door panel. If I recall correctly it is to adjust the frame so that it is properly aligned with the A pillar. There was also a bolt that was in the front door jam that allowed the track to be tilted towards or away from the car. Our Roadrunner was so far out of adjustment that our door glass was striking the B pillar. It appeared as though someone had attempted to correct the door glass position by forcing the front track forward to where the wing window was then hitting it's frame. So we re-aligned the tracks first and then still had to tweak the pivot post on the wing window. Our car had experienced a hard frontal hit when the original owner had it. It could have been that things were out of alignment because of that too.

Our door and wing windows close perfectly now but it was nearly impossible to close our wing windows when we first bought the car.

If you can slide the glass rearward in the chrome frame there is also some play in the top mount. Loosen the inside screw on the hinge and carefully push the glass forward and re-tighten the screw again. There should be plastic washers on both sides of the glass. If you want to remove the window you'll have to remove the whole chrome outside frame from the door first to get to the lower pivot screw. I'm into this stuff right now.

Well I went out after work and got them lined up pretty straight. Loosened up the pivot and was able to bump the bottom of the glass back with my hand. Still need new rubbers but happy that it was a simple fix.

However, the screw on the passenger side was not tight and didn't feel like it wanted to so I didn't force it. I'm afraid the threads are striped out or close to it.

-
Back