Vent wing handle removal - Early A

-

robjkc

Reaction score
I need to send some parts out for re-chroming and am trying to figure out the best way to remove the chrome handle from the chrome base. There is a small pin in the handle keeping attached to the base (shown with the arrow). Any tips on removing the pin? Also, I need to remove the window from the base. Not sure which chemical I should use to dissolve the glue to get the glass out.

Thanks for the help!
Robert

vent1.jpg

A pin drift/punch and hammer is the only way I know. Support the exiting side of the part. You might find the other piece is attached to the glass with similar pins.

A pin drift/punch and hammer is the only way I know. Support the exiting side of the part. You might find the other piece is attached to the glass with similar pins.

Thanks for the tip RedFish! I'll try to locate one of those drift punches.

Looks like the other piece may just be glued in after checking my parts book. I'll see what I can figure out.

Thanks again!

exploded.jpg

I believe the pin is a common rolled pin, which is available at most hardware stores in their cardboard pull-out specialty drawers. The easiest way to drive out a rolled pin is to use another rolled pin of the same size as your drift.

I have had good luck using a drill bit, just a little smaller to drive a drift pin out. Sometime the bit gets dull from beating but they work good. Use the drill end and tap on the point.

Wow, thanks everyone for the help! After your suggestions I think I have enough information to get started. Now for a trip to the hardware store. I also like the suggestion of the drill bit. I never had heard of a roll pin before.

I've been reading this link on restoring the windows and want to make sure I do everything right. I'll be sending the pieces to get rechromed to rdfinishing.net.

Thanks again!

here is some vents from a 65 dart--visual reference

Attachments

• Picture 083 (Medium).jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 117
  • vent windows 005 (Large).jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 134
-
Back