Very High Idle once warm

-

NJDart

Reaction score
Hi,

My combo, 360, 750 Street Avenger, MP distributor vacuum advance not connected. When I first start the car and it warms up enough to come off high idle it seems fine idles around 750. Once I start driving for a while it wants to idle at over 2000. If I'm driving and put it in neutral it will stay at 2000 if I stop in gear the engine will pull the rpms down but when I put it in park they go back up. I've checked the throttle linkage and everything seems OK there. Any suggestions???

Thanks,

Sorry about that:

Cam - Hughes HE3038AL Intake 0.515" 230 @ 0.050" exhaust 0.535" 237 @ 0.050"
Manifold - RPM AirGap, ~10.2:1 compression, cleaned up Edelbrock heads TTI Step headers, automatic with a T/A 3500 stall converter. Accel 300+ electronic ignition box. I think that's about it. The engine was built several years ago but has very low milage and it has sat for extended periods of time. Other than the idle issue it seems to run pretty well. It's been awhile since I set it but I believe timing is 36 deg. total by about 2250

Thanks,

I know you said it comes off of high idle but is there any chance the choke is coming back on? Double check that and make sure the choke is staying all the way off. If the choke is ok check the secondary throttle linkage to make sure it's returning all the way. This year I have blueprinted 2 brand new Holley avengers and both right out of the box didn't have the secondary return linkage adjusted properly so if they were used like they were it's possible the secondaries would not close good causing a high idle like yours is doing. All I had to do was bend the linkage going from the primary to the secondary throttle shaft to make sure when the carb was at idle with the choke off the linkage would push the secondaries off properly.

-
Back