VERY Short Term Build Wheels

-

Mopar Virgin

Reaction score
Pulled the whole driveline and suspension out of my '68 Barracuda Convertible project and replacing it with one from a '74 Duster with a disk brakes, but changed the wheel bolt patter to a 5x4.5. Now unplanned for, I need to shop for throwaway wheels/tires for the restoration project until we decide on final wheels.

Paint is going on next week and striping color, polished vs blacked-out metal work, and other factors will determine what the final wheels will be. Until then, we need to be able to move the car around at the body shop, so have been asked to find wheels/tires.

What is the is maximum wheel/tire width and height people think I can use, as I simply want to buy the cheapest used items I can find?

Last edited:
You can use the spare tire off a modern mustang or even a G35/G37 if all you're looking for is rollers. A lot of junk yards sell the full size spare tires that come in with their scrapped cars. Your maximum tire height is about 26", maybe a little less considering it's a Barracuda. Width gets tricky fast as it depends on how much backspacing the wheel has.

I used to carry a 17" spare from a '07/08 Infiniti G35. Fits in the trunk well, it's not perfectly flush with the floor but it's pretty close. It clears my 13" rotors in the front too, which is why I had to use a 17" spare. I think it has a 145/80/17 on it (~26" tall). All I did was a little dremel work on the hub bore, it was a couple mm's too small. Not a big deal for a temporary spare or set of rollers.

IMG_1822_zpsojer7eso.jpg

Go to the Boneyard and grab a few mid/late '90s Jeep Cherokee/Grand Cherokee spare tires with steel rims.
5x4.5, Mopar hub bore, and they won't go flat on you sitting in the shop.
1696537328237.png

05~09 chrysler 300 steelies will work with BBP and a 8 1/4 and those are crazy plentiful at the boneyard. they're 17's

My build wheels are left overs from my old Polara wagon. 15x6.5 steels with some junk tires I had from another car.

I got a set of 4 steelies (rim only) from a 2006 dodge charger for $60
I've seen sets here with old tires thay would work as rollers going for $100-150 from similar cars (charger, 300, magnum)
they're 17s and I don't have any clearance issues

If you are looking for comments on black or polished trim... IMHO black trim looks cheap on a muscle car era car.

If you are looking for comments on black or polished trim... IMHO black trim looks cheap on a muscle car era car.

Good grief man. The OP is just looking for a cheap set of rollers while the car is being restored.

Pulled the whole driveline and suspension out of my '68 Barracuda Convertible project and replacing it with one from a '74 Duster with a disk brakes, but changed the wheel bolt patter to a 5x4.5. Now unplanned for, I need to shop for throwaway wheels/tires for the restoration project until we decide on final wheels.

Paint is going on next week and striping color, polished vs blacked-out metal work, and other factors will determine what the final wheels will be. Until then, we need to be able to move the car around at the body shop, so have been asked to find wheels/tires.

What is the is maximum wheel/tire width and height people think I can use, as I simply want to buy the cheapest used items I can find?
Are you close to Yakima I have some wheels you can borrow but they're not throw away and guaranteed to fit.

Last edited:
Are you close to Yakima I have some wheels you can borrow but they're not throw away and guaranteed to fit.
I'm in Trout Lake, but did a swap of the old bolt pattern wheels with new tires for the larger bolt pattern with delapitatfd wheels/tires from Wildcat Mopar in Sandy, OR. Long day of driving form here to Washougal for the old wheels, then over to Sandy/Estacada and back to Washougal to drop them off. Needed to mark that to-do off, as I'm 3wks away from heading to Tucson for the winter. Really appreciate the offer!!

I'm in Trout Lake, but did a swap of the old bolt pattern wheels with new tires for the larger bolt pattern with delapitatfd wheels/tires from Wildcat Mopar in Sandy, OR. Long day of driving form here to Washougal for the old wheels, then over to Sandy/Estacada and back to Washougal to drop them off. Needed to mark that to-do off, as I'm 3wks away from heading to Tucson for the winter. Really appreciate the offer!!
Have fun down south

-
Back