Vibration at 2200 RPM

-
The engine does have a mild cam. Would this change anything mentioned above regarding the balancer and flex plate?

If it does it in neutral:
then it has nothing to do with the chassis..... at all.
In this case it is something attached to the crankshaft, and usually ending at the convertor.
I seriously doubt that the problem originates in the tune; unless the timing is jumping back and forth.
In my lifetime I've had a couple of cracked flexplates thru one arm only, and they did Not vibrate, just noisy.

At 2200;
If it's not load related,
then it's Not ignition timing.
My professionally balanced 360 runs smooth as silk at any rpm, on timing @2240 from 46 to 56 degrees, even cruising down the road.

Rule out the fan/belt/waterpump/alternator, by flipping the belt off.
Also check the cylinder pressure (not that I think you have a compression problem.)

After that, sad to say, without documentation, IMO,
the engine will have to come out, apart,and be rebalanced.

some of the new aftermarket flex plates and torque converters have removable weights.....
red locktight is a must.

I guarantee the vibration didn't go away at speed, you just weren't able to hear or feel it anymore.
Continuing to run the engine out if balance can cause major damage.
You said the balancer was replaced. What's the part number from the new one?
Sounds like it's been shaking from the start, which suggests the converter probably isn't the right balance. You need to do what you can to confirm whether the balancer or flex plate has any weights or cuts for an external balance engine.
It's not going to be a cam, fuel, compression, or spark issue. I've chased vibration on small blocks before, and I kept trying to tell myself it wasn't the flywheel or balancer because I didn't want to deal with it. Once the right parts were on it was glass smooth, but damage was done and it cost me dearly.

Wow I still can't believe after a whole month that you don't have it figured out yet.

Re-Read Post #19, that is the answer.

You have an external balanced engine installed into an internal balance drive train.

Guess what happens when you do that?

Shake, Shake, Shake > Shake your Boody.

☆☆☆☆☆

Wow I still can't believe after a whole month that you don't have it figured out yet.

Re-Read Post #19, that is the answer.

You have an external balanced engine installed into an internal balance drive train.

Guess what happens when you do that?

Shake, Shake, Shake > Shake your Boody.

☆☆☆☆☆
Haven't had too much time to toy around with it. This is my first project car so learning as I go here. A lot of good info on this thread and hoping to get around to it as soon as I can.

-
Back