ViBrAtIoN - HELP

-

66cuda

2011Armada K of C 1st PL
Reaction score
OKmy most recent 340 is a Frankenstein.... parts from all over U heads from here 69 block from there...rod & pistons from wherever..... all went together just peachy...balanced out OK..... got it runnin no problemo.... hits 1500 rpm, worlds most powerful vibrator!! I am thinkin that I may have the incorrect vibration dampner....... any suggestions on how to isolate ??? The 727 behind it has a 2900 TCM converter and a stock flex.....

Johnny 5 NEEDs INPUT

I'd guess your combination of rods pistons and crank == unbalanced engine

If the motor is balanced correctly, then could be the damper, flywheel or torque conv. In other words, you might need to put a weight kit on the convert. I had the same problem with an LA motor, pulled that and put in a magnum motor then weights had to be welded to my stall.

First, is it a steel crank or cast crank 340? The steel crank motor is supposed to have a neutral balancer (no notch or extra weight) and a neutral converter (no welded on weights). The cast crank 340 is just the opposite. It is supposed to have a balancer with either a wide grove cut out, or an extra weight just behind the crank pulley. A blind man could see it, so there'll be no question. Also, the cast crank converter will have weights welded on the side where the flexplate bolts on. Again, blind man stuff. If one type balancer converter or both is used on another type crank, it will vibrate like a sumbitch. You can tell whether you have a cast or steel crank easily. Look at the flexplate flange stickin out the back of the engine. Rotate the crank until you can see the "parting line". This is the line that runs the entire length of the crank where it was either cast or forged. For a cast crank, it will be almost pencil tip thin. For a forged crank it will be much wider.....more on the order of 1/2" wide or possibly wider. Insert the blind man comment here once more. Not bein a smartass about that....but it is just that obvious when you know what to look for. Lastly.....and this is the beeotch. Sometimes you cannot tell which type crank you have from the crank flange. In that case, you will have to drop the oil pan to find out. If you have to do that, simply look at the parting line on the side of a rod throw for the parting line. If you have trouble, post up some pice and we can help.

Oh...and unless the machine shop that balanced the engine balanced the balancer and converter and flexplate as included with the reciprocating assembly, it is NOT balanced correctly.

I ran into a vibration problem a while ago on a 727. Turned out that I needed to bolt on the triangle shaped weight on the tailshaft of the tranny. I added the weight and the vibration went away. Might not be your problem but it might be worth looking into.

I ran into a vibration problem a while ago on a 727. Turned out that I needed to bolt on the triangle shaped weight on the tailshaft of the tranny. I added the weight and the vibration went away. Might not be your problem but it might be worth looking into.

.......Yup, had the same problem..........didnt think it would help...........i guess its there 4 a reason...............also left it off on a few and never had a problem, just the 1ce............kim........

-
Back