vibration in a motor plate car

-

340john

Reaction score
I was thinking about building my next A body with a hemi. I hear from a few hemi A body owners that by using a motor plate (elephant ears) there is more room for exhaust headers and the steering shaft. My question is, because my car will be street driven, how bad will the vibration be ? If I decide to go with standard type mounts, where can I get them, and where can I get headers ?

I had aluminium mounts on my Valiant at one time with a smallblock. To give you an idea I couldn't see out my mirrors and had to tighten misc. bolts monthly. Try schumachers. I know they have a B RB coversion for your car and may have a Hemi one.

I had a 440 in a Duster with elephant ears, I did not notice any vibration at all. It was my daily driver.

I solid mounted a built 383 around 400 HP into a Aspen.I made my own elephant ears and there was no vibrations at all.I had it up to 125mph many times and drove it from Illinois to Indy no vibrations.If you do this I would tie the sub frames because it will put alot more stress on the body.
Jim

motor plates are worth it not even for the clearence but if your making over 600hp the location of the motor mounts pull on the front two cylinders and can even distort the cylinder walls. Im a machinist and ive seen this all too often with solid motor mount race cars. I have a motor plate on a stock suspension pump gas street car and the car is pretty violent but thats how i built it. If your making any kind of power youll want a solid mount if your going to race the car so if so go with the motor plate. Also elephant ears are okay but a full motor plate that is one piece is better.

-
Back