vibration when driving ..right curve only

-

tarvin890

tarvin890
Reaction score
This car loves to break while sitting in the garage.... had to take to trans shop to have rear trans seal replaced... last drive no issues... on the way to the shop on our curvy road to get there, strange feeling / vibration on the right hand curves only... normal on the lefts. I have a sneaky feeling i know what is is but just want to verify. heres another tidbit...i noticed that there is old gear oil leak on right rear backing plate...not fresh and apparently not a gusher... rear end is full ( 8 3/4 3.55 posi not spool). is this a bearing on the right going out? or something in the third member? I wouldnt think its the u joint being only bad on right curves... the car is a bb 1970 dart. thanks for the advice ahead of time!

Could be a bad inside front wheel bearing. Too many times only the outside bearings got greased. Someone doesn't want to take the time to do the whole job correctly. Bought a Scamp back in the late 70's with dry inside wheel bearings, but the outsides were well greased.

Or it could be those loose NASCAR lug nuts.

And this is the same car you want 9500 for? This is why its not worth what you think it is. And other posted issues.:burnout:MT

And this is the same car you want 9500 for? This is why its not worth what you think it is. And other posted issues.:burnout:MT

tim, keep your negatives to yourself. yes same car.... i know you are swimming in money and your car is a trailer queen, but leave me and my car alone, most cars on here have issues... thats why we are here build, fixing, brining back to life... you are one of those people that your car is worth a ton no matter what and everyone elses are worthless ... so please keep your rude nit picky comments to yourself... go to church every sunday and pat yourself on the back for being a good christian too.... you know you do... PS its worth what ever its worth... you dont get to decide that.

ahhh yes vista california,,, i am from calif... i see you live in the lap of luxury in vista, i am a lowly sacramento native... nothing i have can measure up to someone from vista...

LOL come on im just making a point. I guaranty I would be one of the first to help you if you were closer. I know we all have issues with our cars, that's why we are on a car blog. I do like your car. Its cool. Im sorry to have offended you. We all need a little thicker skin. MT :cheers::cheers::burnout:

Does your car have a sway bar. I was just thinking that a bad/torn/worn bushing on just one side might cause that???

LOL come on im just making a point. I guaranty I would be one of the first to help you if you were closer. I know we all have issues with our cars, that's why we are on a car blog. I do like your car. Its cool. Im sorry to have offended you. We all need a little thicker skin. MT :cheers::cheers::burnout:

im past thick skin.. i paid for a good car, the pin head lied about everything... I have owned it 2 months and have had to put frame rails, replaced torsion bars, the trans seal is leaking even though the trans is new... so its at the shop for that, now it wants to vibrate on slight turns on the way to fix the trans seal.. i was buying a driver not a rebuilder... but now im rebuilding... trying to be part retired and this car just took a bite out of that... i am also dealing with the pin head that sold me the car with hidden frame damage with the state attorneys office...so you see my skin is very thin. i probably know you anyway if youve raced,ive raced pomona,rialto lacr, bakersfield and sacramento...

Does your car have a sway bar. I was just thinking that a bad/torn/worn bushing on just one side might cause that???

nope no sway bar..,, it feels like when a u joint is about to go, but only that feeling on right curve... not left.. i have a suspicion its a axle bearing....i will post when i find out...

Could be a bad inside front wheel bearing. Too many times only the outside bearings got greased. Someone doesn't want to take the time to do the whole job correctly. Bought a Scamp back in the late 70's with dry inside wheel bearings, but the outsides were well greased.

Or it could be those loose NASCAR lug nuts.

if i had to say location it feels like its coming from id say rear... i just went over the whole front end inspection from wheel to wheel there is negligble bearing play.

Well oil leak is a axel seal. what caused it? and the vibration? How tight was the road you were on? Could be in the Diff. Check to be sure wheels are mounted correctly. Maybe lugs not tight, or wheel not seated correct, or too short wheel studs. Make sure of the wheels. MT

Well oil leak is a axel seal. what caused it? and the vibration? How tight was the road you were on? Could be in the Diff. Check to be sure wheels are mounted correctly. Maybe lugs not tight, or wheel not seated correct, or too short wheel studs. Make sure of the wheels. MT

it was fine nothing loose or out of place visually. it started all of a sudden on the 3 mile drive to my friends trans shop. low speed @ 45 light turns... the harder i put pressure on the turn to see if more pressure on the suspension/ rear end the worse it felt... i agree with the third member issue or leaning towards axle bearing on pass rear..gut feeling. I asked the trans guy to look at it while he has it up...if not ill pull the axle and third member when i get it home... i had a axle on a previous dart eat the adjust nut/cage on an axle before but i felt nothing till i parked it and it was smoking...

Is it possible that the engine is bumping up against something?
The drivers side is the close one, and right hand turns will make the engine slightly move to the left.
I used to have a vibration on right hand turns while accelerating and it ended being the torsion bar on the passenger side touching the headers.

Just a thought.

Just throwing it out there...my Duster had a very similar vibration during right hand turns/curves. Turned out to be the hood latch....with the slight flex or twist of the body, it would move the latch just enough to relieve some of the pressure on the catch and make noise. Drove me crazy for months! It was tough to find...lol
Not saying this is your issue, but something to consider.
I raised the hood stops a little and it went away.
I hope yours is an easy fix as I had. Good luck!

Just throwing it out there...my Duster had a very similar vibration during right hand turns/curves. Turned out to be the hood latch....with the slight flex or twist of the body, it would move the latch just enough to relieve some of the pressure on the catch and make noise. Drove me crazy for months! It was tough to find...lol
Not saying this is your issue, but something to consider.
I raised the hood stops a little and it went away.
I hope yours is an easy fix as I had. Good luck!

Be nice if that's all it is! MT:burnout:

Is it possible that the engine is bumping up against something?
The drivers side is the close one, and right hand turns will make the engine slightly move to the left.
I used to have a vibration on right hand turns while accelerating and it ended being the torsion bar on the passenger side touching the headers.

Just a thought.

worth a look ..thanks ......nothing has touched before but worth the look

The answer is simple.

Your driving it wrong.

These cars only go fast and turn left! :burnout:

The answer is simple.

Your driving it wrong.

These cars only go fast and turn left! :burnout:

holy cow... its the spoiler on the deck lid... i dont have one....naw maybe i am driving wrong...lol thanks for the ideas i will let know what i find when i find it.

ok i am now pretty sure its from the front end.... what could cause it to start doing that after being parked then taking it out for a drive and bam!!! it wants to shake on right pressure... (no power steering either) ... it is very consistant ..drive straight turn wheel slight left nothing.. slight to harder right more vibration.... ... bottom balljoints are new and big,,, has disc brakes stock style.... upper ball joints looking shitty... minimal up down bearing play when check wheels in the air.... definite play in driver tie rod not so much play in the pass tie rod when grab the tire for steering wear on FE parts.... im probably looking right at the issue and it just has not caught my eye... will look again tomorrow when its cool in the garage... maybe some new FE parts are in order sure... but in all the years ive worked around these cars.. ive never had something like this appear after being parked...alot easier if i was on a plane and i looked out the window and a hairy creature was pulling the wires out of the airplane engine..... :) you have to be kinda old to know what that means....

It's the left tire:D
Spin it in the air and look at it, even if you have to pull the pads back to do it.
Or if you don't see anything wrong swap left to right and see what it does.

All that time messing with that problem I'd be willing to try anything.

Twilight Zone with William Shatner :D

It's the left tire:D
Spin it in the air and look at it, even if you have to pull the pads back to do it.
Or if you don't see anything wrong swap left to right and see what it does.

All that time messing with that problem I'd be willing to try anything.

Twilight Zone with William Shatner :D

Lol... i will do that tomorrow great idea!!! one of the best Twilight zones... ive seen them all...well that and talkie tina.... thats classic too...

all good. i had hoped for loose wheels.... did find its time to replace the green bearings with... new green bearings... and the seal....

Well trailbeast I thought/ think you may be on to something... i repacked the bearings and swapped left to right on the front tires and ... it still has a shake vibration on right turn, curve, i am leaning torwards a bad/seperating tire ...kinda... i dunno. also tightend the rearmost shackle upper bolts, one was not fully tight..... perplexed for sure.... at this point it could be anything,,, i liked the engine shift/ something shifting in front.... but i have a motorplate...so that not likely. the steering cover from the firewall does touch on one header tube slightly... but you know like i said it wasnt there.... and suddenly it was.... thats why im liking the front tire seperation idea... y little toyota pu had an issue start i went to the front tire and it was seperating.... any way im just blabbering now... i could probably redo the whole front and it still do this... lol

It isnt possible for a u joint to give off that vibration going one direction is it? read some other threads that said sudden vibration in the seat. whole car all of a sudeen is usually a u joint....

-
Back