vibration

-

SRT_DSTRHOLC

Reaction score
How can i tell if my drive shaft needs to be balanced or if the pinion angle is causing the vibration i have.... other poss. are front suspension being so old and manual steering box...

Does the vibration happen when you are sitting in park? Does it come and go with vehicle speed and rpm? Does it get worse on heavy acceleration or deceleration? Are there any perceived sounds associated with it? Have you measured your pinion angle and found it off?

Does the vibration happen when you are sitting in park? Does it come and go with vehicle speed and rpm? Does it get worse on heavy acceleration or deceleration? Are there any perceived sounds associated with it? Have you measured your pinion angle and found it off?

it comes up with vehicle speed and rpm and not really any sounds besides a drowning sound might be my exhaust like whom whom whom whom and no i havent measured

Take a look at the drive shaft and see if you can spot anywhere towards the ends that one of the weights may have fallen off.

Have you removed the shaft lately? If so, you can try taking it back out and rotating it 180 degrees and puttong it back in.

Recently, I had a pretty bad vibration and ended up being the u joints (they were factory) and the trans mount was shot. $30 worth of parts and a few hours removing the u joints, and now it's vibration free....

Start with the free stuff.. Check your ujoints for any play (watch the joints while you rotate the shaft back anf forth. If the joint moves, it's junk). I only use Spicer joints. Most offshore parts store ones are not very well made. Check the tranny mount. I usually just replace witht eh urethane insert an you'll never need another one. Checl you pinion angle. This is the diference between the centerline of the transmision output and the centerline of the pinion gear and it's measured with a magnetic protractor with the vehicle on it's wheels with a driver seated and 1/2 tank of fuel. If the pinion is not pointed "down" in relation to the outputshaft, shim it to reach about 4° down. Mr Gasket and Lakewood make shims, and 4wd shops can get them easilly. If that is all done and you still have it, the shaft can be pulled and checked but in most circumstances it will be one of the other three things.

I had a bad vibration in front end and didnt realize that a tire had a separation that was barely noticeable. New tire... vibration gone.

the rims and tires are fairly new. they were balanced when i go the tires put on too

-
Back