Victor style big block heads

-

pittsburghracer

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Is there any interest in this style of head. I’m kicking around buying a set of the bare Speedmaster copies of the Edelbrock Victor head. I’ve been out of the big block market for years so I’d rather not buy a couple unicorn heads that guys no longer run and putting a bunch of labor into them.

The way I see the BBM head market now, for probably 80-90% of the people looking to build new combos(and want to make a bit of power)…….they’re best bang for the buck option is usually TF heads.
Those are the yardstick that other offerings are measured against.

So, whatever you’re going to offer up……..how does it compare to some TF heads?

I’ve ported a few Victors over the years.
They’re not that hard to port.

If you plan on “extensive” porting, you may want to look at the warnings Hughes talks about with they’re Victor cnc program being run on the SM heads.

Last edited:
The way I see the BBM head market now, for probably 80-90% of the people looking to build new combos…….they’re best bang for the buck option is TF heads.
Those are the yardstick that other offerings are measured against.

So, whatever you’re going to offer up……..how does it compare to some TF heads.

I’ve ported a few Victors over the years.
They’re not that hard to port.
I did a post a couple years ago about a set of Edelbrock victors a friend ported. He was a mopar mechanic and did some porting work but didn’t claim to be a head porter. He wanted to flow them on my flowbench so he could order a came for his beautiful 1972 not gutted duster. We played around all day and he had some great intake numbers but his exhaust were down some and lazy airspeed. I told him what I would do and although he wouldn’t push it as much as I would. I called him later that night and told him if he wanted to he could bring them back for a retest. He had already started one port so he came over the next day. We spent two fun days together and he asked what he owed me. I said how about a picture of your car which hangs proudly in my shop. He died 10 months later. If I remember right he ran 9.50’s on his only trip out.

IMG_3010.jpeg

IMG_3009.jpeg

IMG_3008.jpeg

IMG_3007.jpeg

IMG_0036.jpeg

IMG_0035.jpeg

IMG_0012.jpeg

How do those numbers compare to your old 440-1 heads?

Just a FYI, SM Victor copies are std port heads………..they flow a touch over 300 ootb.

Last edited:
How do those numbers compare to your old 440-1 heads?

It’s been a longtime but after I ran them for the last time I made major improvements and had them in the 370cfm area. Not sure what they flowed when I ran these times. They ran 8.40’s@160mph on my 572 (2.219) valves in my Daytona with a later found bad fuel pump. I bought 2.225 manley valves for them but never touched them again.

Is there any interest in this style of head. I’m kicking around buying a set of the bare Speedmaster copies of the Edelbrock Victor head. I’ve been out of the big block market for years so I’d rather not buy a couple unicorn heads that guys no longer run and putting a bunch of labor into them
I have a set of the big block Speedmaster Victor copies I bought a couples years ago on black Friday. Still sitting in boxes. If you want to see any specific angles in pictures I can try to get that for you today to help you decide. Because I have a set I would love to see how they respond to some porting work.

I am not familiar with the Edelbrock version so I cannot comment on that, but I think I remember someone saying the Speedmaster head is closer to the first version of big block Edelbrock Victor.

I have a set of the big block Speedmaster Victor copies I bought a couples years ago on black Friday. Still sitting in boxes. If you want to see any specific angles in pictures I can try to get that for you today to help you decide. Because I have a set I would love to see how they respond to some porting work.

I am not familiar with the Edelbrock version so I cannot comment on that, but I think I remember someone saying the Speedmaster head is closer to the first version of big block Edelbrock Victor.

I have a few pictures of my buddy’s heads to but they are buried. Gotta get to work but I’ll try to find them later. If you get a chance pictures would be great. My buddy said porting a big block Mopar head was like porting an LS head but I haven’t gotten that far yet.

I've got a pair of second series Eddie Victor's, still in the box, max port, along with a dominator flange super victor intake.
Was kinda hoping to find someone on the west coast with a cnc
program, but......
There was no such thing as trick flow 270s when I bought the Victor's. The tf would certainly have been my go-to.
Following!

What are the bumps cast into the intake ports ?
I noticed the speed master have them as well.
Is there water behind that?

One is a head bolt boss and the other is the oil feed hole.

Ive done two sets of those. I tube the bolt holes but I just clean up the oil feed.

Sorry if this is an unintentional detail but....
What size is a true max wedge port?
I know the tf270 is 2.63 × 1.34 and that isn't the same.
We have some old asbestos gaskets at work from the 70s... pretty cool but the max wedge port on those are massive (well by bbm standards).
I was tinkering around a few minutes ago and made a 270 port opening for comparison on a wooden shim and compared it to my Hughes valley pan gaskets. There's a break-away portion and the 270 port lines up pretty close on this.
Just has me thinking without touching the floor I could easily get this port on my 240s.
Also just a thought John if you ever had anybody request a 270 port on a 240 trickflow.

17007143852465053233292943122147.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry if this is an unintentional detail but....
What size is a true max wedge port?
I know the tf270 is 2.63 × 1.34 and that isn't the same.
We have some old asbestos gaskets at work from the 70s... pretty cool but the max wedge port on those are massive (well by bbm standards).
I was tinkering around a few minutes ago and made a 270 port opening for comparison on a wooden shim and compared it to my Hughes valley pan gaskets. There's a break-away portion and the 270 port lines up pretty close on this.
Just has me thinking without touching the floor I could easily get this port on my 240s.
Also just a thought John if you ever had anybody request a 270 port on a 240 trickflow.

View attachment 1716169700
A little insight here , I have pair of procomp victor knock offs , cnc standard port . I did have to match my victor intake to them and generally clean it up , which highly resembles the trickflow intake now.
the cnc procomps had a lip at the bottom of the intake runners that bugged me , so I removed it before matching the intake .
The hughs gaskets work really well , but I`m a hair larger than the standard port , but not near the max port .
intake flow is 354 @ .600 , exhaust is 245 .600 .-------jfyi

Last edited:
A little insight here , I have pair of procomp victor knock offs , cnc standard port . I did have to match my victor intake to them and generally clean it up , which highly resembles the trickflow intake now.
the cnc procomps had a lip at the bottom of the intake runners that bugged me , so I removed it before matching the intake .
The hughs gaskets work really well , but I`m a hair larger than the standard port , but not near the max port .
intake flow is 354 @ .600 , exhaust is 245 .600 .-------jfyi
I used it on my tf240 & it made them a little bigger but on my old wieand tunnel ram that port size caused extensive work beyond just porting.

Well I had a last minute change of heart and canceled out on buying the Victor copy heads. I would have had 735.00 plus my porting labor on a set of heads needing valves, springs, and retainers. I’m not sure the demand is there to recover my costs.

Well I had a last minute change of heart and canceled out on buying the Victor copy heads. I would have had 735.00 plus my porting labor on a set of heads needing valves, springs, and retainers. I’m not sure the demand is there to recover my costs.
Yeah that's a lot to sit on.

-
Back