Video: Should my kickdown have this much play?

-

MoparOrNokar

HammerTime
Reaction score
Im wondering if this is too much play in the kickdown on my 727. Hopefully i can get the video to upload. Idk if i could try a band adjustment. 1 to 2 shift slams but 2 to 3 is delayed. Once its engaged and i put the pedal down it doesnt downshift. It doesnt slip when i pedal down either. Need opinions on whether the kickdown is ok, maybe a band adjustment, new valve body, or a trans rebuild. I dont know who or what kind of shift kit is in it. Maybe its not right? I just rebuilt the motor and revamped alot of things in the car so im really hoping not to rebuild. All opinions are appreciated. [ame="https://youtu.be/oPrx0sAtXdU"]https://youtu.be/oPrx0sAtXdU[/ame]

My brand new Cheetah VB has that amount of play in it. Sounds like you need to adjust the kick down linkage at the carb. Take a look at the vid below for some details on that....

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FY9WTWayCC8"]1971 Volume 71-2 Shift Quality and Linkage Adjustment - YouTube[/ame]

The play down at the bottom is fine, and means almost nothing.
To set the KD, requires the engine to be shut off and the throttle to be wide open at the carb, and the gas pedal to be on the floor. Both of these,not one or the other.And it has to stay there. Then you push the link rod down or back, as far as it will go, hard; and keep it there. Finally you take up the slack on the adjuster, until it just slips onto the correctly located KD stud.If you cannot make this happen then one of the parts is not right. Either the lever at the bottom is too long or the anchor on the intake is in the wrong spot or the linkrod is the wrong length, or your carb linkage has not been Moparized. These are all possibilities if the engine has been converted from 2bbl to 4bbl.Finally,secure the adjuster, release the lever and return the carb to curb idle.

Now if the automatic shifts are not high enough for you, then you will have to crank down the governor pressure, or crank up the line pressure.But since it is already banging the 1-2, I would go to the governor.If the shifts occur at different rpms, then one of the shift valve springs will have to be changed.If you cannot get the shifts high enough, you will need a different TV spring. All these parts come in a shift kit;plus many more changes

Messing with the band adjustments does not achieve the results that you are after.

Looking at the video, this looks like my problem too. If I adjust the throttle pressure lever so that the arm at the carb just slips over the carb stud, it still shifts too early, and has no kickdown. Mine is a tci valve body on a fresh rebuild. All done at the same time. How do you crank down on the governor pressure, or up the line pressure?

The arm at the transmission should be all the way back to its stop at full throttle. Period. If the transmission does not shift right set this way there is another problem. You will not fix that problem by monkeying with the kickdown linkage. You'll only end up with a worn out transmission that still has the problem.

The arm at the transmission should be all the way back to its stop at full throttle. Period. If the transmission does not shift right set this way there is another problem. You will not fix that problem by monkeying with the kickdown linkage. You'll only end up with a worn out transmission that still has the problem.

O.K., so what do I need to work on if not the kickdown?

Good video. Im the type that needs visuals with some of this stiff lol
How relevant/correct would video be for a 67 904?

-
Back