Vin Code

-

custom100

Reaction score
i'm hoping that you guys may be able to help me with a question about my vin code. i have all the original document for my car : buyer's order & agreement form, and the application for reg. & licenceing of the car (sorry i don't have the window sticker). this all came with the owners manual for the car and radio. the serial # for the car is listed as - "V8B59214148" on both of these documents, the fender tag is missing the "B" from that series where as the tag on the door piller the "B" looks as though it was stamped there after the tag was made.

now is the serial # the same as the vin code or are they two separate numbers all together, and if they are the same which numbers do i go by with the "B" or with out?

any help would be apprecated thanks

that is my whole vin i found that if you drop the B it will work in the vin decoder so i have no idea about the extra letter and i'm kinda baffled

i'm working on the north island in port mcneill though my car is at my parents place in sidney where i grew up

hey custom100, what year, and kind of car is it supposed to be? this may shed some light on your car.

different stamping techniques on the plate were used from 1960 to 1965.
The VIN plates were produced by machine (the raised numbers) which had model year, assembly plant and sequential production number. As the car rolled to the end of the line, a line worked would grab a plate and punch the first two digits into the plate - the car line/engine and series/body type digits. Thus the hand stamped first two digits.” — Bill Watson

""V8B59214148""

Canadian VIN's decode different than US ones. Yours decodes out to be...

V = Valiant-short wheelbase---make,model and wheelbase
8 = high-8---price range and # of cylinders
B = 2dr ht---body style
5 = 1965---model year produced
9 = Canada---assembly plant
214148 = sequence number beginning with 100,001

Hope that helps...

good job 65Val! i was hopeing you would chime in. those canadian vins give me a hard time. i haven't found any good information on them to be able to decipher them.

7Demon2....thanks buddy!!. The Canadian service manuals have a Canadian decode chart in the front, which is where I got the numbers. I dont think it was 'til '67 that the US and Canada finally got together on the VIN coding...something to do with the "Autopact" signing in '66, I guess.

thankyou 65Val i'v been trying to figure the vin out since i bought the car. i didn't think to check if there was a difference between US & Canadain vin's.

the next time i'm down we'll have to go for a :drinkers:

cool i'm not sure when i'll be down though it my be some time in late march after i get back from bella coola i'll drop you a line when that is confermed :thumbup:

-
Back