Vin # HELP

-

Ridge

Reaction score
This is a heck of a way to introduce my self but I need Help
I am buying a 1968 Barracuda and the vin comes up as a 69 It has 68 grill tail lights the dash looks 69.
Vin # is BH23P9B241867
The vin # does not looked messed with
Please Help

By the vin she is a 69. 6th digit is the year. P is a 340. 68 and 9 dashes are identical(thumbwheel radio). What about front marker lights? Rectangular for 69, round for 68.

I would ask to see any paperwork the current owner has.Make sure everything matches the car and everything jibes.I checked the vin on mymopar.com and it came up as a 69'.(340 car)!My first thought would be the car had some accident damage and the front end/tail lights bumper etc. was switched with whatever was avilable (68').I would advise you check it over very carefully look for hidden damage or anything that just doesn't look right.I've been in the situation of buying a car with falsified paperwork once in My life believe Me you don't wanna go down that rd.that being said.I wish the very best of luck to you I hope the car turns out to be what your looking for.let us know how it turns out.And of course ... Welcome to fabo !

Agree with the above. Check the rad cradle on the top for partial vin that matches vin tag. This should help to confirm it is the correct 69 shell to match the dash. The front header piece and grille assemblies are unique to the 69 (have the bump snout like the 73 & later Darts) and of course the hood is different with the single ridge. Decklid also has different holes to mount the different trim panel. Dash in 68 should have holes to mount the lower two dashpad pieces. It sounds from your description that it might be a 68 shell with 69 dash?

Grant

Fenders, doors,grills can be changed. Are the marker lights in the rear quarters rectagular(69)? These are harder to change.

The car has round marker lights The car has never been apart as far as I can see. I ran the vin on this sight it came up as 68 on here and 69 on other sight.
I just want to be sure.
There is no lower dash pad I dont know if there is holes.
I will load pictures soon

it is not uncommon to find a title and model year that do not match
an early 1969 model could be being built and sold in 1968
and a leftover 1968 model could sit on the floor until 1969
in either event the title will show the year it was issued not the model year

First (Thank You) for your help
Ok here are Pictures

http://s895.photobucket.com/albums/ac156/OldRidge/1968 Barracuda/?action=view&current=IMG_1697.jpg

http://s895.photobucket.com/albums/...0Barracuda/?action=view&current=IMG_1686.jpg&

1968%20Barracuda

http://s895.photobucket.com/albums/...0Barracuda/?action=view&current=IMG_1678.jpg&

http://s895.photobucket.com/albums/...0Barracuda/?action=view&current=IMG_1691.jpg&

I hope that worked

The car has round marker lights The car has never been apart as far as I can see. I ran the vin on this sight it came up as 68 on here and 69 on other sight.
I just want to be sure.
There is no lower dash pad I dont know if there is holes.
I will load pictures soon

The sixth number being a 9 MEANS 69. This you really can't argue. Now as far a early 69 having 68 marker lights? I dout it, possible but I dout it. More likely than not the dash was changed to go with a good tittle someone had. IMO What other site decoded the vin as a 68?

For A Bodies .com says

MOPAR VIN DEdoader

BH23P9B251867 Vehicle Model: Barracuda Vehicle Class: High Price Class (Valiant Signet, Barracuda) Vehicle Body Style: 2 Door Hardtop Vehicle Engine: 340 CID/275 HP 4 BBL V8 Vehicle Year: 1968 Vehicle Assembly Plant: Dodge Main, Hamtramck, MI, USA Assembly Sequence Number: 251867
Mopar gurus step up and do your magic
Please help

Im not sure what to do if it was stolen the rightfull owners should have it back if not stolem it is mine and I will be happy. The dash could be changed with the Vin # on it from car to another car that is not right
Please Senior members advice what i can do
I love the car but don't want headaches.

The pictures show that the radiator support matches the fender tag. (?8B100483 support and 100483 tag.) This is deffently a 68 car. Give me some time and I can get the fender tag decoded for you.
The dash vin is off of a 69 car. The last of vin has got to match the last six numbers of the fender tag to be correct.

Here is a brake down of the fender tag. I will try to do show the decoding as the tag is laid out.
b u ( I think this is a u)
4 ( bucket seats) 1 ( sold car)

R X
1(radio) 2(tinted glass)
12345678 AX TRM PNT UBS
50 8 48 H6X SS1 B 1
(driprail, body belt, (2.23 ratio (high grade vinyl (Yellow paint (black upper door
wheel lip mold.) & sure grip) buckets, black) one tone) interior, stripe)

BH29 41 3 21 209 100483
(b-cuda 2dr fast (318 cid) (4spd) (tires 6.95x (built Feb. 9) ( last six seq.)
back) 14" BSW)

The dash vin tag BH23P9... is for a 69 notch back.

This one is definitely a pretty unmolested 68 body. Unfortunately it has a replacement 69 dash. Since there is no real reason to "only" swap out the dash, I'm figuring someone tried to bury the orginal VIN as the 68 VIN was a "writeoff" or "stolen". As far as the title goes, most civil servants would not have the knowledge to know that the VIN clearly states it as a 69.

I'd walk away unless you could get a title with the proper 68 VIN.

Grant

I believe VIN should be BH29F8_100483, where BH29 = Barracuda Fastback, F = 318, 8 = 1968, _ is unknown (assembly plant), 100483 is sequence#

it is not uncommon to find a title and model year that do not match
an early 1969 model could be being built and sold in 1968
and a leftover 1968 model could sit on the floor until 1969
in either event the title will show the year it was issued not the model year

NO, NO, NO.

If the title says it is a 69 it is a car made to 1969 specs. Like 1969 emissions and safety specs.
It can not be a 1968 leftover That will still be titled as 68.
Manufacturers issue a MSO (Manufacturers Statement Of Origin) for each car built. They are mailed to the dealer when the car is shipped.
When the car is 1st sold, the dealer applies for a title in the state the purchaser lives in. The state issues a title.

1969 model year production usually starts in the 1st week of September, 1968 and ends in late July 1969.

This barracuda is a 68 with a 69 VIN tag on it.

If you look at the pics he posted links to, yo would see a obvious error with this car.
It has a 69 dash and vin on the dash...matching the title.
IMG_1686.jpg

http://i895.photobucket.com/albums/ac156/OldRidge/1968 Barracuda/IMG_1691.jpg
It has a 68 data plate/fender tag matching the last 8 numbers on the stamping on the radiator support.
IMG_1685.jpg

IMG_1689.jpg

Title does not match the fender tag or the stamping in the sheet metal of the car.
The dash and vin/Title were installed in the 1968 body.
IMG_1678.jpg

find another car if this is an area that concerns you.

68 fastback fender tag with a 69 notch vin- what's the trunk lip number?

Isn't that a 67 recall wheel?

-
Back