Vin issues

-

7duster4

Reaction score
I have a quick question regarding the vin on my Duster. When I purchased the car the owner and the title both say 1973. The vin on the car says 1974. The vin on the title read VL29C48 then the sequence number. The six digit sequence number on both the title and car match. The vin on my car has a "G" instead of "C" and the number "8" is a "B" Sounds like this was a typo of some sort. But to be 100% correct to the car. I have the build sheet with all the same numbers. As with the engine and trans match the sequence number. So the vin on the car is correct not the one on the title. The letter "B" is the plant the car was assembled. As far as I know there has to be a letter in that spot of the vin not a number. I have never done anything about it. I'm afraid it will just be a huge pain in the ***. I could see if I was selling the car, but I intend on keeping it. What should I do? Should I make a visit to the dmv and try to fix this or just leave it be as I always have? As of now my insurance is using the vin from the title. Is this a big deal?

Any info is appreciated. Thanks

The title on My 73 Duster has been wrong since it was new. The B for assembly plant is a 8 on my title. I got the owner history on the car Its had about 6 owners. never been changed.

VL29C48...... is a 1974 Duster stripper. Don't see how you are getting '73. The sixth digit is the year of the car. As far as C or G, does the car have a slant or a 318? C is 225, G is 318. In 1974 that sort of mistake would have saved you beaucoup bucks on insurance and more than one dealer did that to sell cars. As for the B being an 8, have you ever tried to tell the two apart when you were tripping? :happy10: The lot jockeys that collected the information did that from time to time in '74. DMV don't really care where it was made anyway. IMO this is a case of let sleeping dogs lie and move on. 8) Looks like the insurance company already has.

In 1974... V= Valiant/Scamp, L= low trim class, 29= 2 door sport hardtop, C= 225 1 bbl., 4= 1974, B= Hamtramck plant built. Hope this helps, Geof

if the car was sold new, before dec 1973 it could easy have a 1973 title.

let it alone.

Title type o I have been through this with a dart I had.You have to contact your local DMV and they will send a Police offericer out to verifiy your numbers and then the DMV will fix the type O.Thats what I had to do here in Illinois.The part that sucks is its their typo but you will have to pay a fee to get it fixed.
You need to fix this now or when you go to sell it you will have to get it fixed then.I would make sure the Insurance company has the vin on the dash this is the correct vin number.
Jim

It is a 74, regardless if it was built in Aug-Dec of 73. It was built to 1974 safety and emissions standards.

Thanks everyone. I'll probably just let it go since I intend on keeping the car. To answer the above questions. The vin from the title has a "C" stating a slant six. The vin from the actual car has a "G" meaning a 318 and thats what it has. Here is the weird part when I bought the car the emissions decal on the inner fender stated 198 slant six for the engine. The engine and trans both have the six digit sequence number. That number is also stamped on the radiator core support among the vin/fender tag on the car. I also found the build sheet behind the back seat with the same numbers. The real vin is VL29G4B, "B" meaning it came from the Hamtrack plant. The vin on the title does state it being a 1974 because there is a "4" in the vin. But the title also gives the year off to the side and it says 1973. I'll just leave it be. When the time comes and I get classic car insurance i'll give them the real vin.

Thanks everyone I won't loose sleep on this.

-
Back