VIN matching 68 cuda

-
i bought a 68 cuda convertible and the numbers on the dash are BH27F8B189405 on the rad support and trunk the numbers are B8BI89405. aren't these supposed to match? the title matches the dash but im not sure if the VIN plate is original. i can not find a picture of what the VIN should look like. from what i gather alot of things changed from 68 to 69 and my local guru is not sure the differences. please help.

To answer one of your original questions. The 8B on the VIN will always be B8 (swapped) on the hidden numbers.

the numbers on the body match the vin except th f on vin is a b on body and the title matches dash vin but its a repo is it still a legal car?

the vin plate was (home made) apparently using the body numbers. Why do they match? because someone didn't do proper research to realize they shouldn't.
So it is not only a poor forgery but a poor forger. 68 and up suck when this happens, because you can not even get a build card from Chrysler Historical.

I think you are totally screwed.I find another car with a good title and tags use yours for parts.

I just took a picture of a 68 car I have. notice the fender tag and core support match but the vin is different. also note this was the 141st car across the hammy assy plants floor in 1968.

Attachments

• IMG-20130514-00123 (2) (1280x1148).jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 311
Because a VIN swapper didn't know what they were doing... that's why number appear to match that should never match on a 1968 model year car.

Did you have the car long? Who sold it to you like that?
Sorry about all the bad stuff you are finding out.
I hope you did not pay to much for it.

Hope things work out.

Darryl

got it 2 weeks ago only gave deposit trading out work on owners home

Thats a positive right there!
By what every one is saying is you do not have a vin number because
they match.
Go talk to the guy that you did the work there and find out what is going
on here. That car is a parts car if you can not find the vin #

Darryl

We have not seen the hidden numbers yet to determine if they were also hand stamped. if so, there is your answer. get a rubbing from under as well as a picture of the top the factory stamp leaves an impression on both sides. It could be a re-body of the 67 vert for which you have a fender tag.

-
Back