VIN matching 68 cuda

-
What is strange though is the numbers don't align they are staggered as if stamped individually and not a machine press with all numbers aligned together.

That's not strange that they don't aline on the body stamps. Mine do the same thing the B and the 8 are set lower. The radiator support one is a little blurry but you can still see the first 2 number are lower.
View attachment IMG_4443 (640x480).jpg

View attachment IMG_4446 (640x480).jpg
All my numbers match body stamp, fender tag, and build sheet.

The guy probably new there was a problem that's why he wanted to get rid of it.
Hope you get this all figured out.

I talked to a guy I know who works on titles and vin in Tallahassee and he is going to investigate the numbers and title nation wide and let me know if its legit or not.

I do think there could be some other explanation other then theft. What you are missing, as pointed out, is the real VIN. At some point somebody who didn't know how pre 69 Mopars work made this extra tag that matched the body stampings, then they took the car to the police and had it inspected where another person unfamilar with the way a 1968 VIN should look signed off on that being the car and that there is no record of that number being stolen (which of course not because they never got that high in 1968 barracuda production). Then with the police signed off they went and put in for a lost title and that wrong number was assigned to the title.

Now the real question is why they replaced the VIN and what is the real VIN of the car. It could have suffered something like an interior fire in it's life, and whoever restored the interior was unfamiliar with 68s. The VIN tag could have been stolen to be used on another car where the whole car was stolen. It's even possible somebody purposely did this thinking the VIN was supposed to match the other stampings. Of course the most likely is that it was stolen in some form or another weather just with a lean or a divorce or improperly handled estate or outright stolen!

The first think I would do is start searching for a build sheet, if you can find that then you can see what real VIN is.

why does it always have to be a title made for a fake vin? why cant it be a homemade replacement for a lost plate?

why does it always have to be a title made for a fake vin? why cant it be a homemade replacement for a lost plate?

Because in 1968 the Vin.# didn't match the body numbers. Somebody made a new Vin.# and it was based off of the body numbers. Those body numbers look original to me but they are actually sales order numbers not a Vin.#

There would've been a partial vin on the motor and trans in 68 if it's original to the body.

Hersbird The State will NOT let you make your own vin tag and vin number.The State will issue their own tag and own vin number with the State seal on the tag.

There is a 1:189405 % chance the vin will match the body numbers in this case. Of course depending how many cars rolled off the Hammy assy line in 68. But yeah, very unlikely, but better odds than the power ball!

Because in 1968 the Vin.# didn't match the body numbers. Somebody made a new Vin.# and it was based off of the body numbers. Those body numbers look original to me but they are actually sales order numbers not a Vin.#

There would've been a partial vin on the motor and trans in 68 if it's original to the body.

68383GTS, I know the state won't let you make your own but not everybody working at every local sheriffs office will be able to tell that is a homemade VIN. If you go down and apply for a lost title, at least here, its the sheriff's office that will inspect the vin and check for stolen records. once they sign off that that's the vin on the car and it doesn't come up stolen, then the dmv will issue a title to that vin. So even if that's not like that in every state, somebody could have done it in an easy state and then transferred it to another state. At that point the 2nd state will just go by what it says on the first state's title.

68383GTS, I know the state won't let you make your own but not everybody working at every local sheriffs office will be able to tell that is a homemade VIN. If you go down and apply for a lost title, at least here, its the sheriff's office that will inspect the vin and check for stolen records. once they sign off that that's the vin on the car and it doesn't come up stolen, then the dmv will issue a title to that vin. So even if that's not like that in every state, somebody could have done it in an easy state and then transferred it to another state. At that point the 2nd state will just go by what it says on the first state's title.

THATS NOT THE VIN!

And a sheriff is not stupid, they will know thats home made...

im guessing there was already a title for that VIN number and for whatever reason the tag or dash was removed and replaced with that homemade one.

I know its not the VIN and most people who work for the local sheriff's office are not dumb but you can always find somebody. I've seen a minimum wage secretary do the VIN check at the sheriff's office. Probably lucky to know where it was let alone the correct font and style for a car made 25 years before they were born.

i know its not the vin and most people who work for the local sheriff's office are not dumb but you can always find somebody. I've seen a minimum wage secretary do the vin check at the sheriff's office. Probably lucky to know where it was let alone the correct font and style for a car made 25 years before they were born.

so what do you want them to check! The title is made out in that number! Which is not the vin!

People who issue the titles and such many times are not diligent. There was a business in my hometown that was fixing salvaged vehicles and were able to obtain clean titles for them!

I don't think you guys are understanding. The title was "lost". So when you go in with a car you say was abandoned on your property or given to you by your dead uncle your apply for a new title. You take some paperwork like a bill of sale, or an estate plan, or a lien based on nonpayment of work or storage fees, and ask for a new title. The DMV will order a police inspection of the serial number or VIN in the case of a car and they fill out a form saying what VIN was stamped on the car and that there is no record of it being stolen. With that information they will issue you a new title that matches the VIN which in this case is fake. Only one single "official" ever lays eyes on the car and "verifies" that is the correct VIN.

I don't think you guys are understanding. The title was "lost". So when you go in with a car you say was abandoned on your property or given to you by your dead uncle your apply for a new title. You take some paperwork like a bill of sale, or an estate plan, or a lien based on nonpayment of work or storage fees, and ask for a new title. The DMV will order a police inspection of the serial number or VIN in the case of a car and they fill out a form saying what VIN was stamped on the car and that there is no record of it being stolen. With that information they will issue you a new title that matches the VIN which in this case is fake. Only one single "official" ever lays eyes on the car and "verifies" that is the correct VIN.

again you said it... the vin plate is fake. for all that hassle he needs to send it home and buy another legit car. if he ever tries to sell it with a "CA New Vin Tag" (or where ever he is from) most of us wouldn't buy it because its not the vin of the car, end of story. this should have been a one page thread that started with a pic of a non-vin plate and then a page of people telling him to send it.

Most who know wouldn't buy it but lots of regular folks would. I bet the average person doesn't even look at the VIN when buying a car. This car might have changed hands 4 times already with this title and "VIN".

NO state in the union will issue a title to a car with a homemade vin plate.Any state offical that would inspect the car will know the vin plate is not right.

You have WAYYYY to much confidence in the government workers who might perform this task.

-
Back