vin question

-
We really need to know what the hidden numbers are on your car to have any real opinion either positive or negative. Other than that this is all completely based on pure conjecture.
The VIN is not a factory assigned VIN it does not contain the proper sequence of letters or numbers to be able to ascertain anything from them. I would be completely floored if the state of California would perform or care to do any research or work directly with the Chrysler Corp. to determine what VIN they want to assign to this car. I am sure like with licence plates it is the next one in line to assign. Chrysler Historical can go by a VIN not an SO number to find the build card for your vehicle. They are volunteers and struggle to even decode the build cars they have if you pay for that service.
The hidden numbers will tell us: what year the car is, what factory built the car, the scheduled production date of the car, and finally the vehicle order number.

In the end. If the state of California can not tell you what this VIN was assigned to replace what original VIN and/or if you have no Broadcast sheet, You have nothing on this cars specific history. With that said you should be able to register it with no problem, but if it was purchased for collection purposes, read as future value. It will always suffer and I would be careful about spending on this car because of that. Its value will always be underrated due to the lack of documentation to support it.

wow this is pretty interesting. what make you think the car was a pal yellow color? i really only ask because i am noticing that this car has been painted once in the past.

1965 Codes:

L - Dodge Dart V8
4 - Signet, Satellite, Sport Fury, (Dart GT), Coronet 500, Monaco, 300L.
5 - 1965
5 - Los Angeles, CA

Last six digits are the sequence number (LA plant not gate) begins with 1 (place holder) and the next five numbers are plant year to date non-model specific total. i.e. The 70,528 model year car produced at the LA plant (I don't think this is a non-sensical or made up VIN ). To get the "replacement" VIN plate for whatever reason, the previous owner could have simply provided Cali with a copy of the title with factory VIN with proof of ownership?

This is the VIN decode asked for in post #1 it gets tricky without the fender tag

To further decode
1). With the vin (L455170528) and proof of ownership (do you have a title with L455170528 under VIN #?) you can request a build card from the historical society with decode. $45.00 or if you find the broadcast sheet your set for a further decode.

This will give you the gate and sequence # plus other info coded into the radiator support stamping.

Note:
2) A collector is not going to value the car with a non factory VIN Replacement Cali plate on the door jam no matter how much money you invest. The value of the car is the value to you. It received the replacement VIN tag 20 + years ago?

Stamping
3) there is a stamping on the radiator core support. This stamping contains some original VIN plus former fender tag code (build card) info. To tie everything together will require: a build sheet or a copy of the build card from the Historical Society (45.00 and luck/ patience...)

4) Does the radiator core support have a stamping? Mine is under an old anti-freeze label.

You have a unique situation complicated by the missing fender tag? This should not take away from your enjoyment of the car.

-
Back