VIN question

-

mrnurse

Reaction score
went and looked at 67 two door swinger today. vin is confusing me though...

LH23 31 5 285 414

i know the 5th and 6th are wrong but I am looking at the picture I took of the fender tag and that is what I am seeing. the guy told me it was a small v8 3speed auto. the engine is out of the car but he has everything for it. engine tranny accessories etc etc. they are just in boxes and not in the car. am I just reading this vin plate wrong? could this be a vin plate from something else?

The fifth spot should have a letter to indicate the engine size (I think for 67) The engine was probably a 273 2bbl.

it is a dart. I am faily new to dodge so i figured it was always called a swinger......sorry. he did say it was a 273 with the 8 3/4 rear. it has drums all the way around. I was just wanting to know if that plate is wrong........maybe a "replacement"?!?!?!?

Yep, 5th digit s/b a letter for the engine, 6th s/b a number for the year.
Its not a 1971 so something is up.

if i knew how to post a picture i would. I have a picture of the plate and a few of the car.

What a minute, the vin plate and the fender tag are 2 different things. The numbers you posted match up to fender tag numbers, excluding the last 5 digits:
CAR: Dodge Dart 2 Door Hardtop
ENGINE: 273cid 2-bbl V8
TRANSMISSION: 3-Speed Automatic
TIRES: D70x14 Red Sidewall, nylon belted
BUILD DATE: April 14.

The vin plate will be inside the driver door jamb.

Does that solve the mystery, or am I off base?

ahhhhh. yes it does~ thank you! what is the general feeling about the 273?

They are good littlr engines. Depends what you want it for. If you want tire shredding power than it will need alot of work. If you want a cool little cruiser than you are in. Is it the numbers matching motor?

i did not get the numbers off the block. but he said it was the engine from the car. not even sure if he still has the car now, i did not see the add today. I liked the 67 but i really would like a 70 better. also i really would like a running car that I could drive for a while.

-
Back